Dec 3, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Mystery and intrigue surrounds a “major announcement” about Edmonton’s new downtown arena.
The announcement, headed up by Rexall Sports Corporation, is scheduled for Tuesday, according to a media advisory put out by the Edmonton Oilers on Monday.
Edmonton’s mayor Don Iveson is also expected to be on hand.
In May, Edmonton’s city council voted in favor of a new funding arrangement for construction of the downtown arena, worth $480 million.
It’s been reported that construction on the new arena could begin in the New Year. It’s possible the Oilers are playing in their new arena by 2016.
A week prior to council approving the new arena, the proposed building hit a snag due to a $55 million funding shortfall.
The new arena may already have a positive impact financial impact on the Oilers’ franchise, particularly owner Daryl Katz, according to David Staples, a columnist with the Edmonton Journal.
As per the Edmonton Journal, the Oilers’ value boosted up to $400 million – an increase of 78 per cent over the last year – in the latest Forbes Magazine rankings of all 30 NHL clubs.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)