Dec 3, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Mystery and intrigue surrounds a “major announcement” about Edmonton’s new downtown arena.
The announcement, headed up by Rexall Sports Corporation, is scheduled for Tuesday, according to a media advisory put out by the Edmonton Oilers on Monday.
Edmonton’s mayor Don Iveson is also expected to be on hand.
In May, Edmonton’s city council voted in favor of a new funding arrangement for construction of the downtown arena, worth $480 million.
It’s been reported that construction on the new arena could begin in the New Year. It’s possible the Oilers are playing in their new arena by 2016.
A week prior to council approving the new arena, the proposed building hit a snag due to a $55 million funding shortfall.
The new arena may already have a positive impact financial impact on the Oilers’ franchise, particularly owner Daryl Katz, according to David Staples, a columnist with the Edmonton Journal.
As per the Edmonton Journal, the Oilers’ value boosted up to $400 million – an increase of 78 per cent over the last year – in the latest Forbes Magazine rankings of all 30 NHL clubs.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)