Dec 3, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
Mystery and intrigue surrounds a “major announcement” about Edmonton’s new downtown arena.
The announcement, headed up by Rexall Sports Corporation, is scheduled for Tuesday, according to a media advisory put out by the Edmonton Oilers on Monday.
Edmonton’s mayor Don Iveson is also expected to be on hand.
In May, Edmonton’s city council voted in favor of a new funding arrangement for construction of the downtown arena, worth $480 million.
It’s been reported that construction on the new arena could begin in the New Year. It’s possible the Oilers are playing in their new arena by 2016.
A week prior to council approving the new arena, the proposed building hit a snag due to a $55 million funding shortfall.
The new arena may already have a positive impact financial impact on the Oilers’ franchise, particularly owner Daryl Katz, according to David Staples, a columnist with the Edmonton Journal.
As per the Edmonton Journal, the Oilers’ value boosted up to $400 million – an increase of 78 per cent over the last year – in the latest Forbes Magazine rankings of all 30 NHL clubs.
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 21
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)