Dec 3, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Mystery and intrigue surrounds a “major announcement” about Edmonton’s new downtown arena.
The announcement, headed up by Rexall Sports Corporation, is scheduled for Tuesday, according to a media advisory put out by the Edmonton Oilers on Monday.
Edmonton’s mayor Don Iveson is also expected to be on hand.
Big announcement regarding the new downtown arena to be made tomorrow afternoon. Mayor Iveson will be on hand as well.—
Tom Gazzola (@TomGazzola) December 02, 2013
In May, Edmonton’s city council voted in favor of a new funding arrangement for construction of the downtown arena, worth $480 million.
It’s been reported that construction on the new arena could begin in the New Year. It’s possible the Oilers are playing in their new arena by 2016.
A week prior to council approving the new arena, the proposed building hit a snag due to a $55 million funding shortfall.
The new arena may already have a positive impact financial impact on the Oilers’ franchise, particularly owner Daryl Katz, according to David Staples, a columnist with the Edmonton Journal.
As per the Edmonton Journal, the Oilers’ value boosted up to $400 million – an increase of 78 per cent over the last year – in the latest Forbes Magazine rankings of all 30 NHL clubs.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)