Dec 3, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
Mystery and intrigue surrounds a “major announcement” about Edmonton’s new downtown arena.
The announcement, headed up by Rexall Sports Corporation, is scheduled for Tuesday, according to a media advisory put out by the Edmonton Oilers on Monday.
Edmonton’s mayor Don Iveson is also expected to be on hand.
In May, Edmonton’s city council voted in favor of a new funding arrangement for construction of the downtown arena, worth $480 million.
It’s been reported that construction on the new arena could begin in the New Year. It’s possible the Oilers are playing in their new arena by 2016.
A week prior to council approving the new arena, the proposed building hit a snag due to a $55 million funding shortfall.
The new arena may already have a positive impact financial impact on the Oilers’ franchise, particularly owner Daryl Katz, according to David Staples, a columnist with the Edmonton Journal.
As per the Edmonton Journal, the Oilers’ value boosted up to $400 million – an increase of 78 per cent over the last year – in the latest Forbes Magazine rankings of all 30 NHL clubs.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)