Dec 3, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning received more bad injury news on Tuesday, as GM Steve Yzerman estimates Ryan Malone will miss three-to-four weeks with a fractured (non-displaced) ankle, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
Malone, 34, suffered the injury when he was hit by a puck in a Nov. 22 game against the Anaheim Ducks.
It’s been that kind of month (or so) for the Lightning, as Malone joins Steve Stamkos (out months) and Radko Gudas (day-to-day) as the most noteworthy injured players (unless you count virtually retired defenseman Mattias Ohlund, too).
Malone isn’t the most reliable scorer – just two points in his last 11 games – but he combines at least the possibility of offensive contributions with a lot of grit in a large frame.
The Lightning have been scratching and clawing with Stamkos & Co. injured. They’ll have to keep doing that with a depleted roster for quite some time.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)