Dec 3, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning received more bad injury news on Tuesday, as GM Steve Yzerman estimates Ryan Malone will miss three-to-four weeks with a fractured (non-displaced) ankle, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
Malone, 34, suffered the injury when he was hit by a puck in a Nov. 22 game against the Anaheim Ducks.
It’s been that kind of month (or so) for the Lightning, as Malone joins Steve Stamkos (out months) and Radko Gudas (day-to-day) as the most noteworthy injured players (unless you count virtually retired defenseman Mattias Ohlund, too).
Malone isn’t the most reliable scorer – just two points in his last 11 games – but he combines at least the possibility of offensive contributions with a lot of grit in a large frame.
The Lightning have been scratching and clawing with Stamkos & Co. injured. They’ll have to keep doing that with a depleted roster for quite some time.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)