Dec 3, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Patrick Kane captured the NHL’s first star award for the month of November on Tuesday, edging out Evgeni Malkin — who looked to be a shoe-in after winning player of the week awards twice last month.
Third star went to Minnesota goalie Josh Harding.
It was Kane, though, that topped the list, thanks in large part to pacing Chicago to 12 wins in 15 games — six of which came on the club’s annual “Circus Trip,” a lengthy road swing that saw the ‘Hawks outscore opponents 22-10 over its six victories. Kane ranked second among all skaters in November with nine goals (four game-winners), and posted a career-best 12-game point streak along the way.
Malkin led all skaters with 21 assists and 25 points in November while also topping the league in power-play assists (nine) and power-play points (10). According to the Elias Sports Bureau, his 21 assists were the most by an NHL player in one calendar month since January 1996, when Wayne Gretzky recorded 21 helpers for the Los Angeles Kings.
Harding continued his run of stellar play by posting an 8-2-2 record last month, along with a 1.88 GAA and .926 save percentage as the Wild went 9-4-2, holding onto a playoff spot in the ultra-competitive Western Conference. Harding also posted his second shutout of the season (4-0 over New Jersey on Nov. 3) and now sits top three in the NHL in GAA (1.45), save percentage (.939) and wins (14).
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)