Dec 3, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Patrick Kane captured the NHL’s first star award for the month of November on Tuesday, edging out Evgeni Malkin — who looked to be a shoe-in after winning player of the week awards twice last month.
Third star went to Minnesota goalie Josh Harding.
It was Kane, though, that topped the list, thanks in large part to pacing Chicago to 12 wins in 15 games — six of which came on the club’s annual “Circus Trip,” a lengthy road swing that saw the ‘Hawks outscore opponents 22-10 over its six victories. Kane ranked second among all skaters in November with nine goals (four game-winners), and posted a career-best 12-game point streak along the way.
Malkin led all skaters with 21 assists and 25 points in November while also topping the league in power-play assists (nine) and power-play points (10). According to the Elias Sports Bureau, his 21 assists were the most by an NHL player in one calendar month since January 1996, when Wayne Gretzky recorded 21 helpers for the Los Angeles Kings.
Harding continued his run of stellar play by posting an 8-2-2 record last month, along with a 1.88 GAA and .926 save percentage as the Wild went 9-4-2, holding onto a playoff spot in the ultra-competitive Western Conference. Harding also posted his second shutout of the season (4-0 over New Jersey on Nov. 3) and now sits top three in the NHL in GAA (1.45), save percentage (.939) and wins (14).
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)