Dec 3, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Patrick Kane captured the NHL’s first star award for the month of November on Tuesday, edging out Evgeni Malkin — who looked to be a shoe-in after winning player of the week awards twice last month.
Third star went to Minnesota goalie Josh Harding.
It was Kane, though, that topped the list, thanks in large part to pacing Chicago to 12 wins in 15 games — six of which came on the club’s annual “Circus Trip,” a lengthy road swing that saw the ‘Hawks outscore opponents 22-10 over its six victories. Kane ranked second among all skaters in November with nine goals (four game-winners), and posted a career-best 12-game point streak along the way.
Malkin led all skaters with 21 assists and 25 points in November while also topping the league in power-play assists (nine) and power-play points (10). According to the Elias Sports Bureau, his 21 assists were the most by an NHL player in one calendar month since January 1996, when Wayne Gretzky recorded 21 helpers for the Los Angeles Kings.
Harding continued his run of stellar play by posting an 8-2-2 record last month, along with a 1.88 GAA and .926 save percentage as the Wild went 9-4-2, holding onto a playoff spot in the ultra-competitive Western Conference. Harding also posted his second shutout of the season (4-0 over New Jersey on Nov. 3) and now sits top three in the NHL in GAA (1.45), save percentage (.939) and wins (14).
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)