Dec 3, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Patrick Kane captured the NHL’s first star award for the month of November on Tuesday, edging out Evgeni Malkin — who looked to be a shoe-in after winning player of the week awards twice last month.
Third star went to Minnesota goalie Josh Harding.
It was Kane, though, that topped the list, thanks in large part to pacing Chicago to 12 wins in 15 games — six of which came on the club’s annual “Circus Trip,” a lengthy road swing that saw the ‘Hawks outscore opponents 22-10 over its six victories. Kane ranked second among all skaters in November with nine goals (four game-winners), and posted a career-best 12-game point streak along the way.
Malkin led all skaters with 21 assists and 25 points in November while also topping the league in power-play assists (nine) and power-play points (10). According to the Elias Sports Bureau, his 21 assists were the most by an NHL player in one calendar month since January 1996, when Wayne Gretzky recorded 21 helpers for the Los Angeles Kings.
Harding continued his run of stellar play by posting an 8-2-2 record last month, along with a 1.88 GAA and .926 save percentage as the Wild went 9-4-2, holding onto a playoff spot in the ultra-competitive Western Conference. Harding also posted his second shutout of the season (4-0 over New Jersey on Nov. 3) and now sits top three in the NHL in GAA (1.45), save percentage (.939) and wins (14).
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)