Dec 3, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
All the latest from around the crease…
Isles go with Nilsson again
Desperate to find some answers in net, the Islanders will give Anders Nilsson his second straight start tonight against Pittsburgh.
Nilsson, who on Saturday stopped 27 of 30 shots in a 3-2 OT loss to Washington, will try to build some positive momentum in place of Kevin Poulin, who inherited the No. 1 gig after incumbent starter Evgeni Nabokov went down to injury.
Nilsson is young (23) and has good size — 6-foot-5, 227 pounds — so perhaps he can stake a claim for additional playing time. He’ll be up against Marc-Andre Fleury tonight.
Carolina goes back to Peters
Justin Peters will make his first start since Nov. 21 tonight in Washington.
Peters, 27, filled in admirably while No. 1 goalie Cam Ward was hurt, and put up decent numbers (2.49 GAA, .920 save percentage) despite posting a 4-7-1 record. Peters will be looking for his first road win of the season tonight at Verizona, and will take on Braden Holtby in the Caps goal.
Los Angeles at Anaheim: The Kings are also unconfirmed, but it sounds like Martin Jones might make his NHL debut. Ben Scrivens has played 10 straight since Jonathan Quick went down to injury, and could use a rest. Jonas Hiller is in for the Ducks.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)