Dec 3, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
All the latest from around the crease…
Isles go with Nilsson again
Desperate to find some answers in net, the Islanders will give Anders Nilsson his second straight start tonight against Pittsburgh.
Nilsson, who on Saturday stopped 27 of 30 shots in a 3-2 OT loss to Washington, will try to build some positive momentum in place of Kevin Poulin, who inherited the No. 1 gig after incumbent starter Evgeni Nabokov went down to injury.
Nilsson is young (23) and has good size — 6-foot-5, 227 pounds — so perhaps he can stake a claim for additional playing time. He’ll be up against Marc-Andre Fleury tonight.
Carolina goes back to Peters
Justin Peters will make his first start since Nov. 21 tonight in Washington.
Peters, 27, filled in admirably while No. 1 goalie Cam Ward was hurt, and put up decent numbers (2.49 GAA, .920 save percentage) despite posting a 4-7-1 record. Peters will be looking for his first road win of the season tonight at Verizona, and will take on Braden Holtby in the Caps goal.
Los Angeles at Anaheim: The Kings are also unconfirmed, but it sounds like Martin Jones might make his NHL debut. Ben Scrivens has played 10 straight since Jonathan Quick went down to injury, and could use a rest. Jonas Hiller is in for the Ducks.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)