Dec 3, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
All the latest from around the crease…
Isles go with Nilsson again
Desperate to find some answers in net, the Islanders will give Anders Nilsson his second straight start tonight against Pittsburgh.
Nilsson, who on Saturday stopped 27 of 30 shots in a 3-2 OT loss to Washington, will try to build some positive momentum in place of Kevin Poulin, who inherited the No. 1 gig after incumbent starter Evgeni Nabokov went down to injury.
Nilsson is young (23) and has good size — 6-foot-5, 227 pounds — so perhaps he can stake a claim for additional playing time. He’ll be up against Marc-Andre Fleury tonight.
Carolina goes back to Peters
Justin Peters will make his first start since Nov. 21 tonight in Washington.
Peters, 27, filled in admirably while No. 1 goalie Cam Ward was hurt, and put up decent numbers (2.49 GAA, .920 save percentage) despite posting a 4-7-1 record. Peters will be looking for his first road win of the season tonight at Verizona, and will take on Braden Holtby in the Caps goal.
Los Angeles at Anaheim: The Kings are also unconfirmed, but it sounds like Martin Jones might make his NHL debut. Ben Scrivens has played 10 straight since Jonathan Quick went down to injury, and could use a rest. Jonas Hiller is in for the Ducks.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)