Dec 3, 2013, 11:31 AM EST
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the Chicago Blackhawks hosting the Dallas Stars starting at 8 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• When Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford defeated the Stars in Dallas on Nov. 29, it was his league-leading 10th win in November and 17th win of the season, as well as the 100th win of his NHL career. The 28-year-old Olympic hopeful for Canada reached the 100-win mark in only his 176th appearance. That ranks third among active goalies for the fewest. (Elias Sports Bureau)
# of appearances
Jimmy Howard, DET 171
Antti Niemi, CHI/SJ 174
Crawford, CHI 176
Ryan Miller, BUF 179
Ray Emery, several teams 183
• Stars goaltender Kari Lehtonen is second in the NHL with eight road wins this season (8-2-0 road record). Only the Blackhawks’ Corey Crawford has more wins away from home, with nine (9-3-0).
• Both Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews have a habit of exploiting the Stars. Of the teams the duo has faced at least nine times in their careers (which includes all Western Conference teams except Winnipeg), their points-per-game numbers are highest against Dallas:
Kane vs. DAL: 24 GP, 13 goals, 31 pts. (1.29 points/game)
Toews vs. DAL: 22 GP, 11 goals, 26 pts. (1.18 points/game)
• The Stars, 0-for-11 on man-advantages over their last four games, sit last in the NHL at 10.5% on power plays. Tyler Seguin and Sergei Gonchar pace the Stars with four power-play points apiece, the lowest totals for any team leader(s) in the category in the NHL. Only Seguin and Cody Eakin have more than one power-play goal (two apiece).
• On Nov. 3, Stars forward Valeri Nichushkin became the seventh 18-year-old to score a goal this season, marking the first time since 1993-94 that seven different 18-year-olds found the back of the net in one season.
• The Blackhawks (20-4-4) needed only 28 games to reach the 20-win mark this season, the second-fewest in franchise history. That is five more games than 2012-13 when they needed only 23 games, on the way to their NHL-record 21-0-3 start.
• The Blackhawks wrapped up a seven-game, 12-day road trip in which they won their last six, and tonight return home for their first game at the United Center since Nov. 17. The champs have been tough on home ice over the last 2 seasons, posting the NHL’s best regular-season points-percentage:
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)