Dec 3, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the Chicago Blackhawks hosting the Dallas Stars starting at 8 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• When Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford defeated the Stars in Dallas on Nov. 29, it was his league-leading 10th win in November and 17th win of the season, as well as the 100th win of his NHL career. The 28-year-old Olympic hopeful for Canada reached the 100-win mark in only his 176th appearance. That ranks third among active goalies for the fewest. (Elias Sports Bureau)
# of appearances
Jimmy Howard, DET 171
Antti Niemi, CHI/SJ 174
Crawford, CHI 176
Ryan Miller, BUF 179
Ray Emery, several teams 183
• Stars goaltender Kari Lehtonen is second in the NHL with eight road wins this season (8-2-0 road record). Only the Blackhawks’ Corey Crawford has more wins away from home, with nine (9-3-0).
• Both Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews have a habit of exploiting the Stars. Of the teams the duo has faced at least nine times in their careers (which includes all Western Conference teams except Winnipeg), their points-per-game numbers are highest against Dallas:
Kane vs. DAL: 24 GP, 13 goals, 31 pts. (1.29 points/game)
Toews vs. DAL: 22 GP, 11 goals, 26 pts. (1.18 points/game)
• The Stars, 0-for-11 on man-advantages over their last four games, sit last in the NHL at 10.5% on power plays. Tyler Seguin and Sergei Gonchar pace the Stars with four power-play points apiece, the lowest totals for any team leader(s) in the category in the NHL. Only Seguin and Cody Eakin have more than one power-play goal (two apiece).
• On Nov. 3, Stars forward Valeri Nichushkin became the seventh 18-year-old to score a goal this season, marking the first time since 1993-94 that seven different 18-year-olds found the back of the net in one season.
• The Blackhawks (20-4-4) needed only 28 games to reach the 20-win mark this season, the second-fewest in franchise history. That is five more games than 2012-13 when they needed only 23 games, on the way to their NHL-record 21-0-3 start.
• The Blackhawks wrapped up a seven-game, 12-day road trip in which they won their last six, and tonight return home for their first game at the United Center since Nov. 17. The champs have been tough on home ice over the last 2 seasons, posting the NHL’s best regular-season points-percentage:
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)