Dec 3, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
On Tuesday, the Flames shot it down.
“The Calgary Flames Hockey Club will not be assigning Sean Monahan to join Team Canada for the upcoming World Junior Championships in Malmo, Sweden,” GM Jay Feaster said in a statement. “We have spent a great deal of time discussing and debating the pros and cons of the situation in the context of what is best for Sean’s continued professional development as a hockey player, as well as what is in the best interests of our team, our fans, and our organization.
“We have concluded that in light of the prominent role Sean has played on our team to date, and the role we project he will continue to play once he returns from his injury, that Sean will remain with our hockey club.”
Monahan, 19, is currently on injured reserve with a fractured foot. Speculation suggested that Calgary would let him participate in the tourney after the injury healed (he’s listed as week-to-week), which would’ve made Monahan just one of two current NHLers on Team Canada — the other being Minnesota defenseman Mathew Dumba.
But that speculation proved false.
The sixth overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, Monahan has been one of Calgary’s best players this season, sitting second in the team in goals (nine) and points (15) at the time of his injury. The former OHL Ottawa standout was averaging over 16 minutes per game and sits fifth among all rookies in scoring.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 2
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 64
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 34
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)