Dec 3, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Sean Monahan didn’t receive an invitation to join Team Canada for the upcoming 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships, but head coach Brent Sutter still wants him, and the Flames might actually loan him to the national squad, according to the Calgary Sun.
As it is, Monahan is enjoying a solid rookie campaign with nine goals and 15 points in 24 games. He’s also averaging a respectable 16:09 minutes per contest with the lowly Flames.
At the same time, playing for Team Canada would be a new and potentially valuable experience for the 19-year-old forward after he failed to make the cut last year. It would be a chance to see what he can do on a big stage as a leader for a team with high expectations.
Of course, that’s assuming that he can play anywhere in the near future. He’s missed Calgary’s last two games with a hairline fracture in his foot and Team Canada’s camp will begin on Dec. 12.
Flames GM Jay Feaster would only confirm that there hasn’t been a decision yet and they consequently won’t make an announcement at this time. In the end, that call might be guided by how quickly he recovers from his current injury.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)