Dec 3, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
Sean Monahan didn’t receive an invitation to join Team Canada for the upcoming 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships, but head coach Brent Sutter still wants him, and the Flames might actually loan him to the national squad, according to the Calgary Sun.
As it is, Monahan is enjoying a solid rookie campaign with nine goals and 15 points in 24 games. He’s also averaging a respectable 16:09 minutes per contest with the lowly Flames.
At the same time, playing for Team Canada would be a new and potentially valuable experience for the 19-year-old forward after he failed to make the cut last year. It would be a chance to see what he can do on a big stage as a leader for a team with high expectations.
Of course, that’s assuming that he can play anywhere in the near future. He’s missed Calgary’s last two games with a hairline fracture in his foot and Team Canada’s camp will begin on Dec. 12.
Flames GM Jay Feaster would only confirm that there hasn’t been a decision yet and they consequently won’t make an announcement at this time. In the end, that call might be guided by how quickly he recovers from his current injury.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (74)