Dec 3, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Sean Monahan didn’t receive an invitation to join Team Canada for the upcoming 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships, but head coach Brent Sutter still wants him, and the Flames might actually loan him to the national squad, according to the Calgary Sun.
As it is, Monahan is enjoying a solid rookie campaign with nine goals and 15 points in 24 games. He’s also averaging a respectable 16:09 minutes per contest with the lowly Flames.
At the same time, playing for Team Canada would be a new and potentially valuable experience for the 19-year-old forward after he failed to make the cut last year. It would be a chance to see what he can do on a big stage as a leader for a team with high expectations.
Of course, that’s assuming that he can play anywhere in the near future. He’s missed Calgary’s last two games with a hairline fracture in his foot and Team Canada’s camp will begin on Dec. 12.
Flames GM Jay Feaster would only confirm that there hasn’t been a decision yet and they consequently won’t make an announcement at this time. In the end, that call might be guided by how quickly he recovers from his current injury.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)