Dec 3, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Sean Monahan didn’t receive an invitation to join Team Canada for the upcoming 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships, but head coach Brent Sutter still wants him, and the Flames might actually loan him to the national squad, according to the Calgary Sun.
As it is, Monahan is enjoying a solid rookie campaign with nine goals and 15 points in 24 games. He’s also averaging a respectable 16:09 minutes per contest with the lowly Flames.
At the same time, playing for Team Canada would be a new and potentially valuable experience for the 19-year-old forward after he failed to make the cut last year. It would be a chance to see what he can do on a big stage as a leader for a team with high expectations.
Of course, that’s assuming that he can play anywhere in the near future. He’s missed Calgary’s last two games with a hairline fracture in his foot and Team Canada’s camp will begin on Dec. 12.
Flames GM Jay Feaster would only confirm that there hasn’t been a decision yet and they consequently won’t make an announcement at this time. In the end, that call might be guided by how quickly he recovers from his current injury.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)