Dec 3, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Sean Monahan didn’t receive an invitation to join Team Canada for the upcoming 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships, but head coach Brent Sutter still wants him, and the Flames might actually loan him to the national squad, according to the Calgary Sun.
As it is, Monahan is enjoying a solid rookie campaign with nine goals and 15 points in 24 games. He’s also averaging a respectable 16:09 minutes per contest with the lowly Flames.
At the same time, playing for Team Canada would be a new and potentially valuable experience for the 19-year-old forward after he failed to make the cut last year. It would be a chance to see what he can do on a big stage as a leader for a team with high expectations.
Of course, that’s assuming that he can play anywhere in the near future. He’s missed Calgary’s last two games with a hairline fracture in his foot and Team Canada’s camp will begin on Dec. 12.
Flames GM Jay Feaster would only confirm that there hasn’t been a decision yet and they consequently won’t make an announcement at this time. In the end, that call might be guided by how quickly he recovers from his current injury.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 17
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 31
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 1
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)