Dec 3, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored the last two goals of Tuesday’s game against the New York Islanders, including the overtime game-winner that extended the Isles’ skid to seven games (while giving Pittsburgh four wins in a row).
Here’s the game-tying goal:
And then there is Crosby’s game-winner:
Evgeni Malkin generated a nice night of his own, assisting on two goals. Malkin now has a ridiculous 16-game point streak, with 27 in that span (four goals, 23 assists).
Islanders fans can blame plenty of people, but Kyle Okposo (two goals) and John Tavares (two assists) probably shouldn’t be on that list. One might argue that Anders Nilsson earned a start or two from struggling goalie Kevin Poulin, as Nilsson put up respectable numbers (31 out of 34 saves).
It’s hard to imagine things getting better for the Islanders, who only have four wins since Nov. 1 (two of which came via shootouts). They face a five-game road trip against playoff-caliber Western Conference teams starting on Thursday … so things could get even uglier.
Mar 16, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Also an update on the East.
Mar 16, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
Mar 16, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Winnipeg takes early advantage over Dallas Stars.
Mar 16, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
At least Buffalo isn’t in a playoff chase.
Mar 16, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
Did Carl Hagelin score? Judge for yourself.
Mar 16, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Also included: video of Kevin Bieksa’s impressive “save.”
Mar 16, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
The rivalry relocated.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Tough loss for a player on a hot streak.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
It will begin 1-0, but with a full 60-minute game.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Washington gets two key points in regulation.
Mar 16, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Good timing considering Chicago’s recent stumbles.
Mar 16, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
Yep, he’s ridiculous.
Mar 16, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
He sustained the lower-body injury earlier this week.
Mar 16, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Pittsburgh just lost back-to-back contests to Philadelphia.
Mar 16, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
Wayne Simmonds had two goals and an assist to reach the 50-point milestone.
Mar 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Robin Lehner will play between the pipes instead.
Mar 16, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Jhonas Enroth started for Buffalo on Saturday.
Mar 16, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
He wasn’t having a bad game, but his teammates were.
Mar 16, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Crosby and Malkin might get more playing time together as a result.
Mar 16, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The game starts at 12:30 p.m. ET.
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 4
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 19
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 6
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 9
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 18
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)