Dec 3, 2013, 7:54 PM EST
At the moment, the Carolina Hurricanes hold a 1-0 lead against the Washington Capitals on Tuesday, so the countdown for Mike Green‘s first goal continues. Caps head coach Adam Oates just hopes that it’s not getting to Green’s head, as he told the Washington Post.
“First thing I said was, ‘That’s not a slump. Goals will come. You got nine in April,’” Oates said. “For me it’s his touches and his decisions. If you’re pressing to get a goal you’re going to skate at opportunities you’re not supposed to skate at and not wait for it at the right time, and I felt his reads were just a little off.”
It’s understandable that Green, 28, might feel a little self conscious.
He came into Tuesday with zero goals despite 62 shots on goal, the most any NHL player has without finding the net this season. Contrast that with last season, when he topped all blueliners with 12, and it’s easy to see why he might feel antsy.
Still, having a recent talk with Oates gave him a “confidence booster” that might help him do what he does best: push the offensive envelope.
“Sometimes you can forget, you retract and you go back into a defensive state, and that’s not necessarily my game,” Green said. “Get back to the things you do well and that’s what I’m on track for now.”
We’ll see if that translates to goals – or at least helping his team win – starting with today’s (in-progress) game with the Canes.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)