Dec 3, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
Vancouver Canucks forward Alex Burrows was struck in the face when teammate Chris Tanev attempted to clear the puck midway through the second period of their 3-2 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday.
Here is the play in question:
Vancouver is hoping to have him back in about a month, although for now he’s being regarded as out indefinitely.
The 32-year-old forward recorded between 26 and 35 goals in each campaign from 2008-09 to 2011-12, but this season is turning into one he’d like to forget. He missed most of October because of a foot injury and hasn’t found the back of the net in the 17 games he has been healthy enough to play in.
With a 14-10-5 record, Vancouver is just one point behind the Phoenix Coyotes in the battle for the second Wild Card spot in the Western Conference, but the Canucks have played in three extra games. Vancouver will attempt to turn its victory over Carolina into the start of a winning streak against Nashville tonight.
Update (12:31 p.m. ET)
Oct 31, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Hurricanes forward was benched Tuesday in Vancouver.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
“We’ve given up a lot of goals and we need to be better, help our goaltenders out.”
Oct 31, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Antti Raanta retains the backup gig behind Corey Crawford.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Dallas has lost two straight.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
As most expected they’d do with the No. 2 overall pick.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
With AK Bars Kazan.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
They’re building a $350 million arena with AEG, which owns the Kings.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
The Canucks forward has been fined twice but never suspended.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
Just replace Chris Pronger with his name from your previous jokes …
Oct 31, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Phaneuf as Spider-Man is … odd.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 AM EDT
Rookie Jonathan Drouin played less than 10 minutes in the win.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
Not quite a fight.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
Michel Therrien: “That was a dirty hit to the head”
Oct 31, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
Canucks conclude October with a 7-3 record.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT
Picked up his 1,000th point.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Scores twice in 5-0 win.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Adds defensive depth.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Allegedly endorsed a New York Islanders pay check to cover gambling debt
Oct 30, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
End an 0-18 skid.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The play was reviewed and was ruled a good goal.
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 2
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 1
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 16
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 31
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)