Dec 2, 2013, 1:34 PM EST
Tom Wilson was invited, but he won’t be representing Team Canada at the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships.
On Monday, Washington GM George McPhee said his club will not allow its prized rookie to take leave for the Worlds, citing Wilson’s contributions to the Caps.
“He means too much to our team,” McPhee said, as per the Washington Post. “It’s best for his development to stay with the Capitals.”
Wilson, 19, was Washington’s first-round pick (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. He made his big-league debut during last year’s playoffs — appearing in three games — and made the Caps out of training camp this year.
He’s been playing in mostly a bottom-six checking role for Washington, but has been a constant contributor. Wilson has appeared in all 27 games, scoring four points while averaging 7:10 TOI per game.
Wilson has never played for Canada at the World Juniors, but does have international experience from winning a gold medal with Team Ontario at the 2011 World U-17 Hockey Challenge,
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)