Dec 2, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT
Tom Wilson was invited, but he won’t be representing Team Canada at the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships.
On Monday, Washington GM George McPhee said his club will not allow its prized rookie to take leave for the Worlds, citing Wilson’s contributions to the Caps.
“He means too much to our team,” McPhee said, as per the Washington Post. “It’s best for his development to stay with the Capitals.”
Wilson, 19, was Washington’s first-round pick (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. He made his big-league debut during last year’s playoffs — appearing in three games — and made the Caps out of training camp this year.
He’s been playing in mostly a bottom-six checking role for Washington, but has been a constant contributor. Wilson has appeared in all 27 games, scoring four points while averaging 7:10 TOI per game.
Wilson has never played for Canada at the World Juniors, but does have international experience from winning a gold medal with Team Ontario at the 2011 World U-17 Hockey Challenge,
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)