Dec 2, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Dumba, the seventh overall pick at the 2012 Entry Draft, might be the lone player currently in the NHL, but he’s hardly the only notable invitee.
OHL sensation Connor McDavid — the 16-year-old scoring phenom who has 46 points in 27 games with the Erie Otters — is among those headed to the camp, along with Tampa Bay draftee Jonathan Drouin (third overall, ’13) and Vancouver draftee Bo Horvat (ninth overall, ’13).
As for other selections, snubs, news and notes…
— 15 forwards, eight defensemen and two goaltenders invited, for a grand total of 25 players. That’s a far cry from previous camps, which have included up to 40 players.
— Should McDavid make it, he’d be the first 16-year-old to make the Canadian team since Sidney Crosby in 2004.
— Biggest surprise omissions were Edmonton defenseman Darnell Nurse (seventh overall, ’13) and Phoenix forward Max Domi (12th overall, ’13). Nurse showed extremely well for the Oilers during the preseason and has incredible physical tools; Domi has been a dominant scorer in the OHL over the last two seasons and made an equally strong impression in his first NHL camp, impressing Coyotes brass.
— Philly’s Scott Laughton is the only other camper with NHL experience, having appeared in five contests with the Flyers. The Islanders’ Griffin Reinhart, another camp invitee, started out the year on Long Island but was returned to WHL Edmonton before making his NHL debut.
— Speaking of Reinhart… his brother, Sam, was named to the 25-man camp roster. Sam is a forward currently playing for WHL Kootenay and is expected to vie for the No. 1 overall pick at the ’14 NHL Entry Draft.
— Canada coach Brent Suter will need to release two forwards and one defenseman from the selection camp roster before the tournament begins.
For the full roster, click here.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)