Dec 2, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Per the Denver Post, today’s court session was only an “advisement hearing,” so no plea was entered. He’ll have the opportunity to do that on Jan. 22 when he’s in court again. (The Avs host Toronto Jan. 21 and are in Florida Jan. 24.)
For now, Varlamov remains free on bond and can travel with the team. So far the 25-year-old hasn’t allowed his legal situation to become a distraction, registering a .924 save percentage in November.
The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is two years in county jail. According to Denver Post reporter Ryan Parker, Varlamov could also face deportation if convicted.
Varlamov was originally arrested for second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault. The more serious kidnapping charge (a Class 4 Felony) was dropped as the DA didn’t feel it could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Click here to read the arrest warrant.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
He becomes an unrestricted free agent if he isn’t signed by Aug. 15.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
(He’s the tall one in the middle.)
Jul 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
“That’s an exciting guy to watch.”
Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details,” she said in a statement.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Rangers countered with a two-year deal at $2.05M per.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Avoiding arbitration in the process.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Yeah, this one’s going to arbitration.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
“We are looking forward to having Vladimir in a Blues uniform when he returns to the NHL,” said GM Doug Armstrong.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Things apparently went sour with Patrick Roy.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s assortment of links.
Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Will he manage to make the team right away?
Jul 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
They know their outdoor games.
Jul 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
His still-deadly shot doesn’t hurt, either.
Jul 20, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Jason Spezza sold his former Ottawa home for $1.7 million.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)