Dec 2, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Minnesota Wild host the Philadelphia Flyers at XCel Energy Center at 8:00 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
It’s funny what a little success can do to change the outlook for a team.
The Philadelphia Flyers head into the second game of their six-game road trip on a roll. They’ve won eight of their last 11 games and have gone from one of the dregs of the Eastern Conference to being four points back of the Washington Capitals for second place in the Metropolitan Division.
All it took for the Flyers to find their stride was to see captain Claude Giroux settle down and just play hockey. While it took him quite a while to net his first goal of the season (16 games), he now leads the team in points with 18 and has four goals.
Wait, what? Yes, Steve Mason has been outstanding this year for Philly going 9-8-2 but with a .934 save percentage and a 2.02 goals-against average. Those numbers are better than what he put up in his rookie season and made him a Calder Trophy winner. Safe to say without Mason, the Flyers would’ve been in an even bigger hole to start than they were.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $2,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Monday’s NHL games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $550. Starts Monday at 7pm ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
For the Wild, things have been rough of late. They’ve lost four in a row and their offense has vanished in those games as they’ve scored just four goals in those games. Having to deal with the Colorado Avalanche in back-to-back games as well as the Phoenix Coyotes and St. Louis Blues doesn’t help matters either.
For a while it seemed like they’d have to make due without Zach Parise. By “a while” we mean “one game” as he was expected to miss 2-to-3 weeks with a contusion but came back after sitting out one game.
It’s a good thing it was only that long because Parise leads the team in scoring. He along with Mikko Koivu are driving the offensive bus for the team with Jason Pominville and Nino Niederreiter in the mix as well.
If the Wild are going to snap their streak, they’re going to need Josh Harding or Niklas Backstrom continue to play strong in goal. Harding has been the story of the year with his play posting a .936 save percentage and a microscopic 1.56 goals-against. If he and Mason wind up squaring off, both teams could be duking it out for one goal.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The former first-rounder still needs to prove himself.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The forward is already endearing himself to Blue Jackets fans.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Ottawa’s offseason is receiving mixed reviews.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
He doesn’t know how to haggle.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Dallas Stars version.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Let’s make a big deal out of this, shall we?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
A “well-deserved” honor, according to Ed Snider.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Beginning with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Click for the full 30-team schedule.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Brandon Sutter next?
Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
But he also won’t require surgery.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
All that and more, inside.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
“We’re moving along on that.”
Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”
Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
This time, it features just one plaintiff — former Bruin Jon Rohloff.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Alternate captain notched a career-high in goals last year.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 47
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (48)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)