Dec 2, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Meanwhile, as if it needed to be said, Vigneault confirmed that Lundqvist is “definitely” still the Rangers’ No. 1 goalie and that starting Talbot again is simply a matter of riding the hot hand.
Of course, all of the above is occurring as Lundqvist remains without a contract extension past the end of the current season. Not surprisingly, Lundqvist didn’t want to talk about that angle, and neither did Vigneault.
Anyway, as we wrote earlier today, without being privy to contract talks between the club and Lundqvist, it would be a stretch to suggest there’s a controversy here, or even that one is on the horizon. For Talbot, tonight will be just his eighth career NHL start. We’re quite certain the Rangers aren’t ready to hand an inexperienced, undrafted 26-year-old out of the University of Alamaba in Huntsville the keys to the franchise after facing 198 shots in the big leagues, even if he did stop 187 of them.
The Rangers’ next game is Thursday in Buffalo.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)