Dec 2, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Meanwhile, as if it needed to be said, Vigneault confirmed that Lundqvist is “definitely” still the Rangers’ No. 1 goalie and that starting Talbot again is simply a matter of riding the hot hand.
Of course, all of the above is occurring as Lundqvist remains without a contract extension past the end of the current season. Not surprisingly, Lundqvist didn’t want to talk about that angle, and neither did Vigneault.
Anyway, as we wrote earlier today, without being privy to contract talks between the club and Lundqvist, it would be a stretch to suggest there’s a controversy here, or even that one is on the horizon. For Talbot, tonight will be just his eighth career NHL start. We’re quite certain the Rangers aren’t ready to hand an inexperienced, undrafted 26-year-old out of the University of Alamaba in Huntsville the keys to the franchise after facing 198 shots in the big leagues, even if he did stop 187 of them.
The Rangers’ next game is Thursday in Buffalo.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 4
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)