Dec 2, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Meanwhile, as if it needed to be said, Vigneault confirmed that Lundqvist is “definitely” still the Rangers’ No. 1 goalie and that starting Talbot again is simply a matter of riding the hot hand.
Of course, all of the above is occurring as Lundqvist remains without a contract extension past the end of the current season. Not surprisingly, Lundqvist didn’t want to talk about that angle, and neither did Vigneault.
Anyway, as we wrote earlier today, without being privy to contract talks between the club and Lundqvist, it would be a stretch to suggest there’s a controversy here, or even that one is on the horizon. For Talbot, tonight will be just his eighth career NHL start. We’re quite certain the Rangers aren’t ready to hand an inexperienced, undrafted 26-year-old out of the University of Alamaba in Huntsville the keys to the franchise after facing 198 shots in the big leagues, even if he did stop 187 of them.
The Rangers’ next game is Thursday in Buffalo.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)