Dec 2, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
But with the Lightning now past the quarter pole, that’s hardly been the case.
Bishop’s emerged as Tampa’s clear-cut starter 26 games into the season, relegating Lindback to a backup role. While the Swedish netminder isn’t complaining about the situation, he’s not exactly thrilled with it either.
“There’s not a lot I can do except work hard and try to stay ready,” Lindback told the Tampa Bay Times. “It’s not an easy situation, but that’s the way it is. It’s my job right now, so I have to find a way to stay ready.”
Lindback has only made eight appearances through 26 games this year, posting a 2-5-0 record with a 3.26 GAA and .876 save percentage. Those numbers, combined with the fact Bishop’s been one of the NHL’s best goalies to start the season — playing himself into Team USA Olympic consideration — has made Cooper’s starting goalie decision easy on most nights. Bishop’s played 20 times already and figures to get the majority of the starts moving forward.
The issue, of course, is that Lindback was acquired from Nashville in June 2012 to challenge for a starting gig. Bishop wasn’t around at the time — he was acquired from Ottawa at last year’s deadline — and Cooper has been steadfast in saying the No. 1 gig is still up for grabs, even if Bishop clearly has it in his grasp.
Lindback hopes he’ll have more chances at winning it back.
“I think everyone understands it’s not where I want to be,” Lindback said. “But you can’t go around and be frustrated. It’s not going to help you be better. It’s a matter of keep working and wait for the opportunity.”
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)