Dec 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Albert! Albert! Albert!
Specifically…Jets forward John Albert, the 24-year-old Cleveland native who will make his NHL debut tonight at Madison Square Garden in place of Evander Kane, who will sit out with a lower-body injury that Winnipeg coach Claude Noel calls a “day-to-day” thing.
“Ever since I found out I was being called up, it’s been an emotional time for my family. I’m just really excited to be here,” said Albert, per NHL.com. “They’ve been my biggest supporters since I was three years old and started skating. My dad and mom haven’t really missed a game in 10 years. They’ll be here tonight, for sure.”
Albert has three goals and five assists for AHL St. John’s in 23 games this season.
The Jets dropped a 2-1 decision Friday in Philadelphia, after which Noel expressed his disdain for a Winnipeg power play that went 0-for-6 and surrendered a shorthanded goal.
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 37
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 14
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)