Dec 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Albert! Albert! Albert!
Specifically…Jets forward John Albert, the 24-year-old Cleveland native who will make his NHL debut tonight at Madison Square Garden in place of Evander Kane, who will sit out with a lower-body injury that Winnipeg coach Claude Noel calls a “day-to-day” thing.
“Ever since I found out I was being called up, it’s been an emotional time for my family. I’m just really excited to be here,” said Albert, per NHL.com. “They’ve been my biggest supporters since I was three years old and started skating. My dad and mom haven’t really missed a game in 10 years. They’ll be here tonight, for sure.”
Albert has three goals and five assists for AHL St. John’s in 23 games this season.
The Jets dropped a 2-1 decision Friday in Philadelphia, after which Noel expressed his disdain for a Winnipeg power play that went 0-for-6 and surrendered a shorthanded goal.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)