Dec 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Albert! Albert! Albert!
Specifically…Jets forward John Albert, the 24-year-old Cleveland native who will make his NHL debut tonight at Madison Square Garden in place of Evander Kane, who will sit out with a lower-body injury that Winnipeg coach Claude Noel calls a “day-to-day” thing.
“Ever since I found out I was being called up, it’s been an emotional time for my family. I’m just really excited to be here,” said Albert, per NHL.com. “They’ve been my biggest supporters since I was three years old and started skating. My dad and mom haven’t really missed a game in 10 years. They’ll be here tonight, for sure.”
Albert has three goals and five assists for AHL St. John’s in 23 games this season.
The Jets dropped a 2-1 decision Friday in Philadelphia, after which Noel expressed his disdain for a Winnipeg power play that went 0-for-6 and surrendered a shorthanded goal.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32