Dec 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Albert! Albert! Albert!
Specifically…Jets forward John Albert, the 24-year-old Cleveland native who will make his NHL debut tonight at Madison Square Garden in place of Evander Kane, who will sit out with a lower-body injury that Winnipeg coach Claude Noel calls a “day-to-day” thing.
“Ever since I found out I was being called up, it’s been an emotional time for my family. I’m just really excited to be here,” said Albert, per NHL.com. “They’ve been my biggest supporters since I was three years old and started skating. My dad and mom haven’t really missed a game in 10 years. They’ll be here tonight, for sure.”
Albert has three goals and five assists for AHL St. John’s in 23 games this season.
The Jets dropped a 2-1 decision Friday in Philadelphia, after which Noel expressed his disdain for a Winnipeg power play that went 0-for-6 and surrendered a shorthanded goal.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)