Dec 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Albert! Albert! Albert!
Specifically…Jets forward John Albert, the 24-year-old Cleveland native who will make his NHL debut tonight at Madison Square Garden in place of Evander Kane, who will sit out with a lower-body injury that Winnipeg coach Claude Noel calls a “day-to-day” thing.
“Ever since I found out I was being called up, it’s been an emotional time for my family. I’m just really excited to be here,” said Albert, per NHL.com. “They’ve been my biggest supporters since I was three years old and started skating. My dad and mom haven’t really missed a game in 10 years. They’ll be here tonight, for sure.”
Albert has three goals and five assists for AHL St. John’s in 23 games this season.
The Jets dropped a 2-1 decision Friday in Philadelphia, after which Noel expressed his disdain for a Winnipeg power play that went 0-for-6 and surrendered a shorthanded goal.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)