Dec 2, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Neuvirth, 25, was injured during warmup for Friday’s 3-2 shootout win over Montreal. He was supposed to make the start but exited just prior to puck drop, forcing Braden Holtby into action.
Video coach Brett Leonhardt was forced into action as an emergency No. 2 goalie for the Habs game, though the Caps have since called up Phillipp Grubauer from AHL Hershey to fill the backup void.
Neuvirth has been used sparingly this season as head coach Adam Oates has gone primarily with Holtby in net. In seven appearances, Neuvirth has a 2-3-1 record with a 2.83 GAA and .912 save percentage.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32