Dec 2, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
OK, we’re going to pass along a quote from Team Canada coach Mike Babcock as he prepares to make his Sochi roster decisions. Let us know in the comments section if the same player that came to our mind was the one that came to yours.
“We want skaters, the most we can possibly have,” said Babcock, per ESPN. “We want high hockey IQ. But the most important thing is trust. No sense taking somebody you don’t trust, because they’re all going to be one-goal games, and in the end you have to defend.
“People think the big ice is about offense. No, it’s about defending. So you got to able to play without the puck. Can you do that or can you not do that? To me, it’s really simple.”
Was it PK Subban that came to mind? It was PK Subban, right?
Subban may be the reigning Norris Trophy winner, but he’s far from a lock to play for Team Canada at the Olympics. When it comes to right-handed d-men, Drew Doughty and Shea Weber are pretty much locks. It’s hard to imagine Alex Pietrangelo being left out. Dan Boyle is a veteran that Babcock trusted plenty in 2010. Brent Seabrook played limited minutes in Vancouver, but he’s got considerably more big-game experience than Subban. Kris Letang is another option for Babcock, though his play may beg the same question as Subban’s: can he be trusted?
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)