Dec 2, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
OK, we’re going to pass along a quote from Team Canada coach Mike Babcock as he prepares to make his Sochi roster decisions. Let us know in the comments section if the same player that came to our mind was the one that came to yours.
“We want skaters, the most we can possibly have,” said Babcock, per ESPN. “We want high hockey IQ. But the most important thing is trust. No sense taking somebody you don’t trust, because they’re all going to be one-goal games, and in the end you have to defend.
“People think the big ice is about offense. No, it’s about defending. So you got to able to play without the puck. Can you do that or can you not do that? To me, it’s really simple.”
Was it PK Subban that came to mind? It was PK Subban, right?
Subban may be the reigning Norris Trophy winner, but he’s far from a lock to play for Team Canada at the Olympics. When it comes to right-handed d-men, Drew Doughty and Shea Weber are pretty much locks. It’s hard to imagine Alex Pietrangelo being left out. Dan Boyle is a veteran that Babcock trusted plenty in 2010. Brent Seabrook played limited minutes in Vancouver, but he’s got considerably more big-game experience than Subban. Kris Letang is another option for Babcock, though his play may beg the same question as Subban’s: can he be trusted?
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 0
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)