Dec 1, 2013, 11:19 PM EST
Tomas Vokoun spoke with the media regarding his blood clot situation on Sunday, but the Pittsburgh Penguins goalie didn’t seem any more certain of his condition than he was months ago.
While the 37-year-old hasn’t had any setbacks and says things are going well, he also didn’t rule out the possibility of retirement to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Live.
“It’s hard to look that far ahead,” Vokoun said. “But definitely, if I get cleared, I want to try. We’ll see. I don’t have definite yes or no.”
He points out that this isn’t exactly the kind of injury that you can rehab.
“When you play professional sports, you’ve got to understand that it’s not going to be forever,” Vokoun said. “I always choose my health over anything else. Saying that, maybe that’s never going to be an issue, either. Whatever happens I’m kind of preparing for the worst-case scenario. Best-case scenario, everything is going to be OK, and I can make a decision if I’m going to play or not.”
So … the Penguins might want to make alternate plans if they’re not totally sold on Marc-Andre Fleury (who, by the way, has mostly been competent this season).
Nov 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Bit of a Rockford influence on the roster right now.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
He, along with Jean Beliveau, are the longest-tenured captains in franchise history.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:25 AM EST
Never a dull moment in Toronto.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:21 AM EST
That’s a marginally higher cap hit than Bobby Ryan and David Krejci will get in 2015-16.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:56 AM EST
They’ll talk about it more next week.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:58 AM EST
He’s been great offensively, but he isn’t one of the league’s scoring leaders.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
We also got footage of the Oilers accidentally playing shorthanded.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
Former Canucks first rounder made his return to Vancouver Thursday.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Philadelphia falls 3-2 to Minnesota.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:10 AM EST
Could’ve tied the game 2-2.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Chicago edged Calgary 4-3.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
Were out-scored 15-4 in two losses.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
Caps win 3-2.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:46 PM EST
Suffered a jaw injury and will not return.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:29 PM EST
Team is calling it a lower body injury. He will not return.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
He spent 10 seasons in Vancouver.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Has his fourth of the season.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:37 PM EST
Making his debut on Chicago’s blue line tonight.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:10 PM EST
The two lead Philly to a Stanley Cup final appearance in 1997.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:07 PM EST
Surpasses his 2013-14 goal total.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 16
- Report: Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 9
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 31
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)