Dec 1, 2013, 11:19 PM EDT
Tomas Vokoun spoke with the media regarding his blood clot situation on Sunday, but the Pittsburgh Penguins goalie didn’t seem any more certain of his condition than he was months ago.
While the 37-year-old hasn’t had any setbacks and says things are going well, he also didn’t rule out the possibility of retirement to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Live.
“It’s hard to look that far ahead,” Vokoun said. “But definitely, if I get cleared, I want to try. We’ll see. I don’t have definite yes or no.”
He points out that this isn’t exactly the kind of injury that you can rehab.
“When you play professional sports, you’ve got to understand that it’s not going to be forever,” Vokoun said. “I always choose my health over anything else. Saying that, maybe that’s never going to be an issue, either. Whatever happens I’m kind of preparing for the worst-case scenario. Best-case scenario, everything is going to be OK, and I can make a decision if I’m going to play or not.”
So … the Penguins might want to make alternate plans if they’re not totally sold on Marc-Andre Fleury (who, by the way, has mostly been competent this season).
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)