Dec 1, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, Pavel Padakin of the Calgary Hitmen scored the requisite “Teddy Bear Toss” goal. The end result was more than 25,000 teddy bears raining down on the ice during the WHL team’s match against the Medicine Hat Tigers on Sunday.
It’s seriously a stunning thing to behold:
That video’s basically a toddler’s dream, isn’t it?
The event has charitable leanings, making the warm-and-fuzziness just that much more warm-and-fuzzy. This is the 19th annual addition of the event, which drew 17,199 to a building the Hitmen share with the Calgary Flames.
The charitable effort has is annual rite across the Canadian Hockey League in November and December. Calgary’s archrival, the Edmonton Oil Kings, also hold a big one (complete with tips on how it’s done). At least two major junior teams, the Belleville Bulls and Kootenay Ice, ask fans to throw winter gloves and hats which are given to those in need.
Really, this photo via the Hitmen’s Twitter feed really says it all, though:
Has anyone made a mattress out of teddy bears before?
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)