Dec 1, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, Pavel Padakin of the Calgary Hitmen scored the requisite “Teddy Bear Toss” goal. The end result was more than 25,000 teddy bears raining down on the ice during the WHL team’s match against the Medicine Hat Tigers on Sunday.
It’s seriously a stunning thing to behold:
That video’s basically a toddler’s dream, isn’t it?
The event has charitable leanings, making the warm-and-fuzziness just that much more warm-and-fuzzy. This is the 19th annual addition of the event, which drew 17,199 to a building the Hitmen share with the Calgary Flames.
The charitable effort has is annual rite across the Canadian Hockey League in November and December. Calgary’s archrival, the Edmonton Oil Kings, also hold a big one (complete with tips on how it’s done). At least two major junior teams, the Belleville Bulls and Kootenay Ice, ask fans to throw winter gloves and hats which are given to those in need.
Really, this photo via the Hitmen’s Twitter feed really says it all, though:
Has anyone made a mattress out of teddy bears before?
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)