Dec 1, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, Pavel Padakin of the Calgary Hitmen scored the requisite “Teddy Bear Toss” goal. The end result was more than 25,000 teddy bears raining down on the ice during the WHL team’s match against the Medicine Hat Tigers on Sunday.
It’s seriously a stunning thing to behold:
That video’s basically a toddler’s dream, isn’t it?
The event has charitable leanings, making the warm-and-fuzziness just that much more warm-and-fuzzy. This is the 19th annual addition of the event, which drew 17,199 to a building the Hitmen share with the Calgary Flames.
The charitable effort has is annual rite across the Canadian Hockey League in November and December. Calgary’s archrival, the Edmonton Oil Kings, also hold a big one (complete with tips on how it’s done). At least two major junior teams, the Belleville Bulls and Kootenay Ice, ask fans to throw winter gloves and hats which are given to those in need.
Really, this photo via the Hitmen’s Twitter feed really says it all, though:
Has anyone made a mattress out of teddy bears before?
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)