Dec 1, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, Pavel Padakin of the Calgary Hitmen scored the requisite “Teddy Bear Toss” goal. The end result was more than 25,000 teddy bears raining down on the ice during the WHL team’s match against the Medicine Hat Tigers on Sunday.
It’s seriously a stunning thing to behold:
That video’s basically a toddler’s dream, isn’t it?
The event has charitable leanings, making the warm-and-fuzziness just that much more warm-and-fuzzy. This is the 19th annual addition of the event, which drew 17,199 to a building the Hitmen share with the Calgary Flames.
The charitable effort has is annual rite across the Canadian Hockey League in November and December. Calgary’s archrival, the Edmonton Oil Kings, also hold a big one (complete with tips on how it’s done). At least two major junior teams, the Belleville Bulls and Kootenay Ice, ask fans to throw winter gloves and hats which are given to those in need.
Really, this photo via the Hitmen’s Twitter feed really says it all, though:
Has anyone made a mattress out of teddy bears before?
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)