Dec 1, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, Pavel Padakin of the Calgary Hitmen scored the requisite “Teddy Bear Toss” goal. The end result was more than 25,000 teddy bears raining down on the ice during the WHL team’s match against the Medicine Hat Tigers on Sunday.
It’s seriously a stunning thing to behold:
That video’s basically a toddler’s dream, isn’t it?
The event has charitable leanings, making the warm-and-fuzziness just that much more warm-and-fuzzy. This is the 19th annual addition of the event, which drew 17,199 to a building the Hitmen share with the Calgary Flames.
The charitable effort has is annual rite across the Canadian Hockey League in November and December. Calgary’s archrival, the Edmonton Oil Kings, also hold a big one (complete with tips on how it’s done). At least two major junior teams, the Belleville Bulls and Kootenay Ice, ask fans to throw winter gloves and hats which are given to those in need.
Really, this photo via the Hitmen’s Twitter feed really says it all, though:
Has anyone made a mattress out of teddy bears before?
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)