Dec 1, 2013, 12:15 AM EDT
One second, Ben Scrivens looked to be in control of the puck; the next he was falling over.
That turned out to be trouble. The L.A. Kings goalie came out of his crease to handle of a long shoot-in with the Calgary Flames on the penalty kill, but stumbled over backwards, causing a loose puck.
Flames forward Paul Byron collected the puck, then, from on his belly, found Blair Jones, who fired it into the empty net to give Calgary a 1-0 lead in the second period of Saturday’s game.
It counted as a short-handed goal, with the Flames forced to kill of a major penalty for boarding assessed to defenseman Ladislav Smid, who was ejected from the game.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)