Dec 1, 2013, 2:36 AM EST
It was creative and perhaps controversial.
Joe Pavelski scored the shootout winner to give the San Jose Sharks a 4-3 victory over the Anaheim Ducks in a Pacific Division showdown, however the move he used stirred up the Twitterverse and apparently the Ducks, as well.
Pavelski came into the zone, then quickly slammed on the breaks at the hash marks, then continued forward and ripped a shot past Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller.
According to the NHL rulebook, under Rule 24 – Penalty Shot, “The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete.”
Below is a video clip of the goal. Beneath that are the post-game comments of Ducks’ captain Ryan Getzlaf.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)