Dec 1, 2013, 2:36 AM EDT
It was creative and perhaps controversial.
Joe Pavelski scored the shootout winner to give the San Jose Sharks a 4-3 victory over the Anaheim Ducks in a Pacific Division showdown, however the move he used stirred up the Twitterverse and apparently the Ducks, as well.
Pavelski came into the zone, then quickly slammed on the breaks at the hash marks, then continued forward and ripped a shot past Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller.
According to the NHL rulebook, under Rule 24 – Penalty Shot, “The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete.”
Below is a video clip of the goal. Beneath that are the post-game comments of Ducks’ captain Ryan Getzlaf.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)