Dec 1, 2013, 2:36 AM EDT
It was creative and perhaps controversial.
Joe Pavelski scored the shootout winner to give the San Jose Sharks a 4-3 victory over the Anaheim Ducks in a Pacific Division showdown, however the move he used stirred up the Twitterverse and apparently the Ducks, as well.
Pavelski came into the zone, then quickly slammed on the breaks at the hash marks, then continued forward and ripped a shot past Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller.
According to the NHL rulebook, under Rule 24 – Penalty Shot, “The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete.”
Below is a video clip of the goal. Beneath that are the post-game comments of Ducks’ captain Ryan Getzlaf.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)