Dec 1, 2013, 2:36 AM EDT
It was creative and perhaps controversial.
Joe Pavelski scored the shootout winner to give the San Jose Sharks a 4-3 victory over the Anaheim Ducks in a Pacific Division showdown, however the move he used stirred up the Twitterverse and apparently the Ducks, as well.
Pavelski came into the zone, then quickly slammed on the breaks at the hash marks, then continued forward and ripped a shot past Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller.
According to the NHL rulebook, under Rule 24 – Penalty Shot, “The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete.”
Below is a video clip of the goal. Beneath that are the post-game comments of Ducks’ captain Ryan Getzlaf.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 0
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)