Dec 1, 2013, 1:12 AM EDT
On a night when the Colorado Avalanche were badly outshot, it was their goalie who was paramount in picking up two points against a divisional opponent.
Semyon Varlamov made 35 saves in regulation and overtime to help the Avalanche to a 3-2 shootout win over the Minnesota Wild on Saturday. That gave the Avalanche a sweep of a two-game home-and-home series with their Central Division foes.
The results Friday and Saturday, in fact, give the Avalanche a three-point cushion over the Wild in the division.
The Wild, after getting back into the game with two goals late in the third period, were also unsuccessful in all three of their shootout attempts, while Ryan O’Reilly scored the lone Colorado goal in the skills competition.
“Ryan scored a super nice goal and Varly was outstanding from the start of the game until the end,” said Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“What I like about him is he never lost his focus, despite the fact that tonight we didn’t play as well defensively as I was hoping.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 8
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 8
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 49
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (50)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)