Dec 1, 2013, 1:12 AM EDT
On a night when the Colorado Avalanche were badly outshot, it was their goalie who was paramount in picking up two points against a divisional opponent.
Semyon Varlamov made 35 saves in regulation and overtime to help the Avalanche to a 3-2 shootout win over the Minnesota Wild on Saturday. That gave the Avalanche a sweep of a two-game home-and-home series with their Central Division foes.
The results Friday and Saturday, in fact, give the Avalanche a three-point cushion over the Wild in the division.
The Wild, after getting back into the game with two goals late in the third period, were also unsuccessful in all three of their shootout attempts, while Ryan O’Reilly scored the lone Colorado goal in the skills competition.
“Ryan scored a super nice goal and Varly was outstanding from the start of the game until the end,” said Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“What I like about him is he never lost his focus, despite the fact that tonight we didn’t play as well defensively as I was hoping.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)