Dec 1, 2013, 6:14 PM EDT
So far, Ottawa’s reaction to Daniel Alfredsson‘s return seems mostly positive, though definitely mixed (more on that later). Senators owner Eugene Melnyk acknowledges his legacy, for one.
Maybe the two sides parted ways under slightly controversial terms, but the 40-year-old played 1,178 regular season and 121 postseason games with the franchise. It would probably be foolish to bet against Alfredsson’s sweater hanging in the rafters.
Obviously, “Alf” has plenty of hockey left to play before that decision is officially made. That includes tonight’s emotional return to Ottawa.
The present awkwardness vs. future embrace might be best shown in Melnyk: he predicts Alfredsson’s number will be retired yet the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox points out that he skipped tonight’s game.
- Report: No suspension for Lucic spear of DeKeyser 22
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 113
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 54
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17