Dec 1, 2013, 6:44 PM EST
Big picture-wise, Ottawa Senators fans welcomed Daniel Alfredsson back on Sunday. As with many things, there were some exceptions.
The Senators franchise presented a two-minute video tribute and a warm message on Twitter. Here’s the clip:
The 41-year-old received a standing ovation that lasted for about three minutes, according to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch. The National Post’s Stephen Whyno reports that there was a woman chanting Alfie an hour before puck drop and that many – but not all – Sens fans whipped out their old chant for him at the 11-minute mark of the first period.
Still, there were some fans who held a grudge, including a few who were a little melodramatic (via Tyler Cooper).
Alfie funeral taking place outside CTC. pic.twitter.com/RjtlRcRtj0
— Tyler Cooper (@ClericalBeats) December 1, 2013
The positive fans outweighed the negative ones, though, it seemed.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 27
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)