Dec 1, 2013, 6:44 PM EST
Big picture-wise, Ottawa Senators fans welcomed Daniel Alfredsson back on Sunday. As with many things, there were some exceptions.
The Senators franchise presented a two-minute video tribute and a warm message on Twitter. Here’s the clip:
The 41-year-old received a standing ovation that lasted for about three minutes, according to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch. The National Post’s Stephen Whyno reports that there was a woman chanting Alfie an hour before puck drop and that many – but not all – Sens fans whipped out their old chant for him at the 11-minute mark of the first period.
Still, there were some fans who held a grudge, including a few who were a little melodramatic (via Tyler Cooper).
Alfie funeral taking place outside CTC. pic.twitter.com/RjtlRcRtj0
— Tyler Cooper (@ClericalBeats) December 1, 2013
The positive fans outweighed the negative ones, though, it seemed.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46