Dec 1, 2013, 6:44 PM EDT
Big picture-wise, Ottawa Senators fans welcomed Daniel Alfredsson back on Sunday. As with many things, there were some exceptions.
The Senators franchise presented a two-minute video tribute and a warm message on Twitter. Here’s the clip:
The 41-year-old received a standing ovation that lasted for about three minutes, according to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch. The National Post’s Stephen Whyno reports that there was a woman chanting Alfie an hour before puck drop and that many – but not all – Sens fans whipped out their old chant for him at the 11-minute mark of the first period.
Still, there were some fans who held a grudge, including a few who were a little melodramatic (via Tyler Cooper).
Alfie funeral taking place outside CTC. pic.twitter.com/RjtlRcRtj0
— Tyler Cooper (@ClericalBeats) December 1, 2013
The positive fans outweighed the negative ones, though, it seemed.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)