Dec 1, 2013, 6:44 PM EDT
Big picture-wise, Ottawa Senators fans welcomed Daniel Alfredsson back on Sunday. As with many things, there were some exceptions.
The Senators franchise presented a two-minute video tribute and a warm message on Twitter. Here’s the clip:
The 41-year-old received a standing ovation that lasted for about three minutes, according to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch. The National Post’s Stephen Whyno reports that there was a woman chanting Alfie an hour before puck drop and that many – but not all – Sens fans whipped out their old chant for him at the 11-minute mark of the first period.
Still, there were some fans who held a grudge, including a few who were a little melodramatic (via Tyler Cooper).
Alfie funeral taking place outside CTC. pic.twitter.com/RjtlRcRtj0
— Tyler Cooper (@ClericalBeats) December 1, 2013
The positive fans outweighed the negative ones, though, it seemed.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6