Dec 1, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT
Win or lose, the Edmonton Oilers are always interesting. Such is the case for their game tonight against the Dallas Stars.
The Oilers will also be without center Boyd Gordon. He’s their top defensive center and not having him to help wrangle Jamie Benn and the Stars puts them at a disadvantage as Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal shares.
“It’s going to be a huge loss. Boyd has been our best penalty killer. He takes critical faceoffs . . . he’s one of the top faceoff guys in the league. A guy we rely on heavily,” said head coach Dallas Eakins. “That’s going to be a big hole to fill and it’s going to have to be filled by the group.”
Will Acton will take Gordon’s spot in the lineup and likely play the fourth line.
The Oilers will start Ilya Bryzgalov for the third game in a row. He’s gotten the call in each game of their three-game road trip that wraps up tonight. He earned a 3-0 shutout victory against the Nashville Predators on Thursday but was chased out after giving up four goals in two periods in their 4-2 loss to Columbus on Friday night.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)