Dec 1, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers squeezed out a 3-2 shootout win on Sunday. They also might have made a new enemy in the process.
Dallas Stars winger Ryan Garbutt (pictured) made a huge impact in the game, scoring both of the Stars’ goals and injuring Ilya Bryzgalov in a collision. The 28-year-old might just become a marked man in the new version of the Pacific Division, as he’s likely not very popular with the Anaheim Ducks after delivering a hit on Dustin Penner that garnered a five-game suspension.
Both Bryzgalov (28 out of 29 saves) and Devan Dubnyk (15 out of 16) were challenged by the Stars, who finished a three-game homestand with a 1-0-2 record.
This could be a moment of truth for the Oilers. While they’re beyond a longshot with a 9-17-2 record, they play their next five games at home. If there was ever a time when they might charge toward respectability, this would be it.
One guy beyond their obvious set of top prospects to watch is David Perron. He assisted on the game-tying goal and scored the shootout winner tonight and has been a difference-maker when healthy.
Speaking of health, the Oilers also must keep an eye on Bryzgalov’s health, as he left tonight’s game with an upper-body injury thanks to Garbutt.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)