Dec 1, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers squeezed out a 3-2 shootout win on Sunday. They also might have made a new enemy in the process.
Dallas Stars winger Ryan Garbutt (pictured) made a huge impact in the game, scoring both of the Stars’ goals and injuring Ilya Bryzgalov in a collision. The 28-year-old might just become a marked man in the new version of the Pacific Division, as he’s likely not very popular with the Anaheim Ducks after delivering a hit on Dustin Penner that garnered a five-game suspension.
Both Bryzgalov (28 out of 29 saves) and Devan Dubnyk (15 out of 16) were challenged by the Stars, who finished a three-game homestand with a 1-0-2 record.
This could be a moment of truth for the Oilers. While they’re beyond a longshot with a 9-17-2 record, they play their next five games at home. If there was ever a time when they might charge toward respectability, this would be it.
One guy beyond their obvious set of top prospects to watch is David Perron. He assisted on the game-tying goal and scored the shootout winner tonight and has been a difference-maker when healthy.
Speaking of health, the Oilers also must keep an eye on Bryzgalov’s health, as he left tonight’s game with an upper-body injury thanks to Garbutt.
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 4
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 11
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 28
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 45
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (104)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)