Dec 1, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers squeezed out a 3-2 shootout win on Sunday. They also might have made a new enemy in the process.
Dallas Stars winger Ryan Garbutt (pictured) made a huge impact in the game, scoring both of the Stars’ goals and injuring Ilya Bryzgalov in a collision. The 28-year-old might just become a marked man in the new version of the Pacific Division, as he’s likely not very popular with the Anaheim Ducks after delivering a hit on Dustin Penner that garnered a five-game suspension.
Both Bryzgalov (28 out of 29 saves) and Devan Dubnyk (15 out of 16) were challenged by the Stars, who finished a three-game homestand with a 1-0-2 record.
This could be a moment of truth for the Oilers. While they’re beyond a longshot with a 9-17-2 record, they play their next five games at home. If there was ever a time when they might charge toward respectability, this would be it.
One guy beyond their obvious set of top prospects to watch is David Perron. He assisted on the game-tying goal and scored the shootout winner tonight and has been a difference-maker when healthy.
Speaking of health, the Oilers also must keep an eye on Bryzgalov’s health, as he left tonight’s game with an upper-body injury thanks to Garbutt.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)