Dec 1, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers squeezed out a 3-2 shootout win on Sunday. They also might have made a new enemy in the process.
Dallas Stars winger Ryan Garbutt (pictured) made a huge impact in the game, scoring both of the Stars’ goals and injuring Ilya Bryzgalov in a collision. The 28-year-old might just become a marked man in the new version of the Pacific Division, as he’s likely not very popular with the Anaheim Ducks after delivering a hit on Dustin Penner that garnered a five-game suspension.
Both Bryzgalov (28 out of 29 saves) and Devan Dubnyk (15 out of 16) were challenged by the Stars, who finished a three-game homestand with a 1-0-2 record.
This could be a moment of truth for the Oilers. While they’re beyond a longshot with a 9-17-2 record, they play their next five games at home. If there was ever a time when they might charge toward respectability, this would be it.
One guy beyond their obvious set of top prospects to watch is David Perron. He assisted on the game-tying goal and scored the shootout winner tonight and has been a difference-maker when healthy.
Speaking of health, the Oilers also must keep an eye on Bryzgalov’s health, as he left tonight’s game with an upper-body injury thanks to Garbutt.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)