Dec 1, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
Evgeni Malkin‘s monstrous play in the month of November may have caught some by surprise, but not his teammates.
As Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review writes, some of his Penguins cohorts knew a big breakout was on the way.
“You could tell he was just about to bust out earlier in the season,” defenseman Matt Niskanen said. “He’s just working so hard. It was a matter of time. He just has that ability to take over.”
Take over is exactly what Malkin did against the Florida Panthers on Saturday night as he had a goal and three assists in their 5-1 win.
In the month of November, he had four goals and 21 assists in 15 games. Almost two points per game for the month? Yeah, that’s a breakout all right. After netting just 10 points in October, he’s now just one point behind teammate Sidney Crosby in the points race.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)