Dec 1, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
Evgeni Malkin‘s monstrous play in the month of November may have caught some by surprise, but not his teammates.
As Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review writes, some of his Penguins cohorts knew a big breakout was on the way.
“You could tell he was just about to bust out earlier in the season,” defenseman Matt Niskanen said. “He’s just working so hard. It was a matter of time. He just has that ability to take over.”
Take over is exactly what Malkin did against the Florida Panthers on Saturday night as he had a goal and three assists in their 5-1 win.
In the month of November, he had four goals and 21 assists in 15 games. Almost two points per game for the month? Yeah, that’s a breakout all right. After netting just 10 points in October, he’s now just one point behind teammate Sidney Crosby in the points race.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)