Dec 1, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning have been one of the league’s surprise teams. While they’re without Steven Stamkos for the time being, they’ve done well in part thanks to their “Kid Line” of former AHL teammates Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, and Richard Panik.
Coach Jon Cooper tells Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times he’s happy with how they’ve grown so far this season.
“You know what you’re getting from them every night,” Cooper said. ‘They’re a bit more sure of themselves and their abilities. Early on, it’s human nature, you’re nervous, you’re uptight, you don’t want to make mistakes. Now … they play the game to make plays.”
Cooper has given the line opportunities to show what they’ve got. On Friday night against Pittsburgh, they got to grow up a bit matching up against Sidney Crosby‘s line.
This season, scoring-wise, they’ve combined for 30 points with Johnson leading the way with 13. For a line that was starting in the AHL last season, they’re adapting well in the big leagues.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (92)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)