Dec 1, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have been one of the league’s surprise teams. While they’re without Steven Stamkos for the time being, they’ve done well in part thanks to their “Kid Line” of former AHL teammates Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, and Richard Panik.
Coach Jon Cooper tells Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times he’s happy with how they’ve grown so far this season.
“You know what you’re getting from them every night,” Cooper said. ‘They’re a bit more sure of themselves and their abilities. Early on, it’s human nature, you’re nervous, you’re uptight, you don’t want to make mistakes. Now … they play the game to make plays.”
Cooper has given the line opportunities to show what they’ve got. On Friday night against Pittsburgh, they got to grow up a bit matching up against Sidney Crosby‘s line.
This season, scoring-wise, they’ve combined for 30 points with Johnson leading the way with 13. For a line that was starting in the AHL last season, they’re adapting well in the big leagues.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)