Dec 1, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning have been one of the league’s surprise teams. While they’re without Steven Stamkos for the time being, they’ve done well in part thanks to their “Kid Line” of former AHL teammates Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, and Richard Panik.
Coach Jon Cooper tells Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times he’s happy with how they’ve grown so far this season.
“You know what you’re getting from them every night,” Cooper said. ‘They’re a bit more sure of themselves and their abilities. Early on, it’s human nature, you’re nervous, you’re uptight, you don’t want to make mistakes. Now … they play the game to make plays.”
Cooper has given the line opportunities to show what they’ve got. On Friday night against Pittsburgh, they got to grow up a bit matching up against Sidney Crosby‘s line.
This season, scoring-wise, they’ve combined for 30 points with Johnson leading the way with 13. For a line that was starting in the AHL last season, they’re adapting well in the big leagues.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 38
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 115
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (115)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)