Leafs’ Bernier: ‘You can’t have luck on your side all season’

Dec 1, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT

Jonathan Bernier Getty Images

Whether you judge a team based on simple stats like shots for and against or “fancy” ones like Fenwick Close (which charts puck possession), it’s tough to deny that the Toronto Maple Leafs have received some good luck this season. Even Jonathan Bernier would agree, it seems.

The 25-year-old goalie made such an argument to The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle on Sunday on the heels of the team’s fourth loss in a row.

“We’ve been giving up a lot of shots, and you can’t have luck on your side all season,” Bernier said.

Much has been made about the Maple Leafs striving for “shot quality,” yet Bernier has a point; it’s difficult to paint too pretty a picture about giving up the most shots per game (35.9) while generating the third lowest average of shots each night (26.4).

Toronto’s team save percentage is the fifth highest in the NHL, as Bernier and James Reimer have frequently bailed the Buds out. It will be difficult to sustain such elite work over an 82-game season, however.

Despite this four-game skid, the Maple Leafs find themselves in the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff hunt, so it’s not all bad news for Toronto. And it probably hasn’t been all bad luck (aside from injuries), either.

1. blomfeld - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM

‘Hold Fast’ Bernier !

An argument could be made that we LA Kings gave Toronto the most ‘generous’ gift ever offered since Native Americans sold the Island of Manhattan to the Dutch for a paltry 60 Guilders back in 1626 … such is Bernier’s value to the Leafs and such is his importance for their future hopes. The bottom line friends is that without Bernier, the Leafs right now would be sitting in 12th place or worse in the EC. Therefore it would behoove these 1.2 billion dollar idiots to finally ‘get with the program’ and give Bernier some support up front. What they’re doing right now is no different than some fool using a fur coat to mop up an oil spill .. truly pathetic, yet very much consistent with the clown they elected for mayor !

*** NHL’s Top Goalies as per the Dortmund Messenger ***

1) Jonathan Quick
    2) Ben Scrivens
    3) Jonathan Bernier
    4) Cory Schneider
    5) Carey Price

67) Henrik Lundqvist
    68) Alexander Ovechkin
    69) Roberto Luongo
    70) Sidney Crosby

• blomfeld - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM

ps: GO KINGS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• km9000 - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM

?

• davebabychreturns - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

This comment actually takes up more screen real estate than the original post which inspired* it.

I bet it took up a few millionths of a percent of the bandwidth my ISP allots me each month, and I don’t feel like that bandwidth is being used effectively.

*I should say “partially inspired” since we all know the lion’s share of inspiration for blomfeld’s comments comes from delusion and TCM

• blomfeld - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Listen Babych …
        while your worried about some worthless ‘millionth’ of your precious bandwidth, the world’s forests are being depleted ‘daily’ by an area equivalent in size to the state of New Jersey! … anyway, the inspiration for my commentary comes from my ardent support for the glorious Kings of Los Angeles, winners of of the last ‘scandal free’ Stanley Cup and current holders of most shutouts in the league (4) ! :)

• blomfeld - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM

TCM … Turner Classic Movies ?

also note Babych that even though I could buy my own ‘personal’ satellite if I so chose, the only cable channels which I currently subscribe to are The Golf Channel and Bloomberg News … of course all of your Canuckle stuff I get for free, what with me residing right here in the heart of Canuckle Land and all ! :)

Chances Blue Jackets bounce back?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches