Dec 1, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Whether you judge a team based on simple stats like shots for and against or “fancy” ones like Fenwick Close (which charts puck possession), it’s tough to deny that the Toronto Maple Leafs have received some good luck this season. Even Jonathan Bernier would agree, it seems.
The 25-year-old goalie made such an argument to The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle on Sunday on the heels of the team’s fourth loss in a row.
“We’ve been giving up a lot of shots, and you can’t have luck on your side all season,” Bernier said.
Much has been made about the Maple Leafs striving for “shot quality,” yet Bernier has a point; it’s difficult to paint too pretty a picture about giving up the most shots per game (35.9) while generating the third lowest average of shots each night (26.4).
Toronto’s team save percentage is the fifth highest in the NHL, as Bernier and James Reimer have frequently bailed the Buds out. It will be difficult to sustain such elite work over an 82-game season, however.
Despite this four-game skid, the Maple Leafs find themselves in the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff hunt, so it’s not all bad news for Toronto. And it probably hasn’t been all bad luck (aside from injuries), either.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 0
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 13
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 30
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)