Dec 1, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Whether you judge a team based on simple stats like shots for and against or “fancy” ones like Fenwick Close (which charts puck possession), it’s tough to deny that the Toronto Maple Leafs have received some good luck this season. Even Jonathan Bernier would agree, it seems.
The 25-year-old goalie made such an argument to The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle on Sunday on the heels of the team’s fourth loss in a row.
“We’ve been giving up a lot of shots, and you can’t have luck on your side all season,” Bernier said.
Much has been made about the Maple Leafs striving for “shot quality,” yet Bernier has a point; it’s difficult to paint too pretty a picture about giving up the most shots per game (35.9) while generating the third lowest average of shots each night (26.4).
Toronto’s team save percentage is the fifth highest in the NHL, as Bernier and James Reimer have frequently bailed the Buds out. It will be difficult to sustain such elite work over an 82-game season, however.
Despite this four-game skid, the Maple Leafs find themselves in the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff hunt, so it’s not all bad news for Toronto. And it probably hasn’t been all bad luck (aside from injuries), either.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)