Dec 1, 2013, 2:12 AM EDT
Two quick third period goals got the Anaheim Ducks a single point against the San Jose Sharks on Saturday. But two points, a win, eluded them.
The Ducks trailed the Sharks 3-1 heading into the second period of a heated showdown for first in the Pacific Division, but got a pair of goals from some unlikely sources – Alex Grant for his first NHL goal in his first NHL games and Ben Lovejoy with his first of the season – to tie the game and eventually send it to overtime.
Grant and Lovejoy scored just over four minutes apart in the second half of the third period.
But the shootout didn’t fall their way, as the dropped a 4-3 decision in the breakaway competition to the Sharks.
“This is a tough road building. We’re happy we got the one point, but we would have liked two,” said Grant, according to the Ducks’ Twitter account.
“I told the guys if we get one, we can get two. I thought we’d win it in regulation,” said Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau.
The shootout loss drops the Ducks one point back of the Sharks for the Pacific Division lead.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)