Dec 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
It’s the day many Ottawa Senators fans circled before the start of the season. The Detroit Red Wings are paying their first visit to Canadian Tire Centre in Kanata and with them comes former Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson.
In case you went into hiding this summer, Alfredsson turned down the Senators to sign with the Red Wings after playing 17 seasons in Ottawa.
He and the team, in particular owner Eugene Melnyk, disagreed publicly about how negotiations went down between the two sides and Alfie ultimately leveled the heaviest verbal slap saying he signed with Detroit because they had a better chance to win the Stanley Cup.
Alfredsson comes into today’s game on a bit of a hot streak. He has three goals and three assists in his last four games including two goals and an assist against the New York Islanders on Friday night.
Meanwhile, the Red Wings have won four of their last five and the Senators have lost five of their last seven and sit in sixth place in the Atlantic Division, nine points behind the second place logjam with Tampa Bay, Montreal, and Detroit.
The Senators have said they’ll pay tribute to Alfredsson during this afternoon’s game (5:30 p.m. ET puck drop). Will he be received warmly as the long-time captain who helped bring the team out of the darkness of the early 90s or as a deserter who fled for more money?
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 11
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 6
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29