Dec 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
It’s the day many Ottawa Senators fans circled before the start of the season. The Detroit Red Wings are paying their first visit to Canadian Tire Centre in Kanata and with them comes former Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson.
In case you went into hiding this summer, Alfredsson turned down the Senators to sign with the Red Wings after playing 17 seasons in Ottawa.
He and the team, in particular owner Eugene Melnyk, disagreed publicly about how negotiations went down between the two sides and Alfie ultimately leveled the heaviest verbal slap saying he signed with Detroit because they had a better chance to win the Stanley Cup.
Alfredsson comes into today’s game on a bit of a hot streak. He has three goals and three assists in his last four games including two goals and an assist against the New York Islanders on Friday night.
Meanwhile, the Red Wings have won four of their last five and the Senators have lost five of their last seven and sit in sixth place in the Atlantic Division, nine points behind the second place logjam with Tampa Bay, Montreal, and Detroit.
The Senators have said they’ll pay tribute to Alfredsson during this afternoon’s game (5:30 p.m. ET puck drop). Will he be received warmly as the long-time captain who helped bring the team out of the darkness of the early 90s or as a deserter who fled for more money?
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 32
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)