Dec 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
It’s the day many Ottawa Senators fans circled before the start of the season. The Detroit Red Wings are paying their first visit to Canadian Tire Centre in Kanata and with them comes former Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson.
In case you went into hiding this summer, Alfredsson turned down the Senators to sign with the Red Wings after playing 17 seasons in Ottawa.
He and the team, in particular owner Eugene Melnyk, disagreed publicly about how negotiations went down between the two sides and Alfie ultimately leveled the heaviest verbal slap saying he signed with Detroit because they had a better chance to win the Stanley Cup.
Alfredsson comes into today’s game on a bit of a hot streak. He has three goals and three assists in his last four games including two goals and an assist against the New York Islanders on Friday night.
Meanwhile, the Red Wings have won four of their last five and the Senators have lost five of their last seven and sit in sixth place in the Atlantic Division, nine points behind the second place logjam with Tampa Bay, Montreal, and Detroit.
The Senators have said they’ll pay tribute to Alfredsson during this afternoon’s game (5:30 p.m. ET puck drop). Will he be received warmly as the long-time captain who helped bring the team out of the darkness of the early 90s or as a deserter who fled for more money?
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)