Nov 30, 2013, 10:25 PM EST
It didn’t look like typically electric shot to the back of the net. But like that matters to Alex Ovechkin.
The Capitals’ star scored his league-leading 21st goal of the season, and it was the overtime winner Saturday in a 3-2 Washington win against the New York Islanders.
Ovechkin cut into the middle of the ice on a two-on-two rush, beating goalie Anders Nilsson through the legs to give the Capitals the win.
It capped off a crazy final few minutes of regulation. The Islanders took the lead on a goal from Thomas Vanek with 1:51 left in the third period, however a short-handed goal from Nicklas Backstrom with 49 seconds remaining sent this one to the extra frame.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 19
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11