Nov 30, 2013, 10:25 PM EDT
It didn’t look like typically electric shot to the back of the net. But like that matters to Alex Ovechkin.
The Capitals’ star scored his league-leading 21st goal of the season, and it was the overtime winner Saturday in a 3-2 Washington win against the New York Islanders.
Ovechkin cut into the middle of the ice on a two-on-two rush, beating goalie Anders Nilsson through the legs to give the Capitals the win.
It capped off a crazy final few minutes of regulation. The Islanders took the lead on a goal from Thomas Vanek with 1:51 left in the third period, however a short-handed goal from Nicklas Backstrom with 49 seconds remaining sent this one to the extra frame.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)