Nov 30, 2013, 10:25 PM EDT
It didn’t look like typically electric shot to the back of the net. But like that matters to Alex Ovechkin.
The Capitals’ star scored his league-leading 21st goal of the season, and it was the overtime winner Saturday in a 3-2 Washington win against the New York Islanders.
Ovechkin cut into the middle of the ice on a two-on-two rush, beating goalie Anders Nilsson through the legs to give the Capitals the win.
It capped off a crazy final few minutes of regulation. The Islanders took the lead on a goal from Thomas Vanek with 1:51 left in the third period, however a short-handed goal from Nicklas Backstrom with 49 seconds remaining sent this one to the extra frame.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 16
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5