Nov 30, 2013, 10:25 PM EST
It didn’t look like typically electric shot to the back of the net. But like that matters to Alex Ovechkin.
The Capitals’ star scored his league-leading 21st goal of the season, and it was the overtime winner Saturday in a 3-2 Washington win against the New York Islanders.
Ovechkin cut into the middle of the ice on a two-on-two rush, beating goalie Anders Nilsson through the legs to give the Capitals the win.
It capped off a crazy final few minutes of regulation. The Islanders took the lead on a goal from Thomas Vanek with 1:51 left in the third period, however a short-handed goal from Nicklas Backstrom with 49 seconds remaining sent this one to the extra frame.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)