Nov 30, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
Team Canada reportedly won’t have Morgan Rielly to count on to try and win gold at the World Junior Championships.
Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun reports the Toronto Maple Leafs will not release the 19-year-old to play in the annual tournament.
“I’d say he’s a big part of this group right here, right now and we don’t see that changing at this point,” Leafs vice-president of hockey operations Dave Poulin said on Friday. “That’s the way we’re looking at it.”
Poulin didn’t flatly deny Rielly would be held out of the tournament, so there’s still the possibility he’d be allowed to go. If he does play for Team Canada, he would likely be a candidate to be team captain.
Rielly has played in 20 games for the Leafs this season and has no goals and eight assists. He’s been an on-again, off-again scratch in their lineup of late, most recently swapping places with Jake Gardiner.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)