Nov 30, 2013, 8:57 PM EDT
The city of Markham, Ont., may be one step closer to getting a new 20,000-seat hockey arena that could potentially house an NHL team
From the Toronto Star:
Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti and Graeme Roustan, CEO of GTA Sports and Entertainment, announced on Saturday two memorandums of understanding as part of a public-private partnership that would leave taxpayers off the hook in the proposed building of the $325-million NHL-size GTA Centre.
It was first reported on Thursday that both Scarpitti and Roustan would make a major announcement on Saturday.
The proposed building would be large enough to support another NHL team in the Greater Toronto Area.
According to John Shannon of Sportsnet, the fate of the proposed Markham arena could be determined by Monday.
Members of Markham city council will “review agreements” and listen to more than 90 scheduled speakers Monday before voting, Shannon wrote on Twitter.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)