Nov 30, 2013, 8:57 PM EST
The city of Markham, Ont., may be one step closer to getting a new 20,000-seat hockey arena that could potentially house an NHL team
From the Toronto Star:
Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti and Graeme Roustan, CEO of GTA Sports and Entertainment, announced on Saturday two memorandums of understanding as part of a public-private partnership that would leave taxpayers off the hook in the proposed building of the $325-million NHL-size GTA Centre.
It was first reported on Thursday that both Scarpitti and Roustan would make a major announcement on Saturday.
The proposed building would be large enough to support another NHL team in the Greater Toronto Area.
According to John Shannon of Sportsnet, the fate of the proposed Markham arena could be determined by Monday.
Members of Markham city council will “review agreements” and listen to more than 90 scheduled speakers Monday before voting, Shannon wrote on Twitter.
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 1
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 6
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)