Nov 30, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Vancouver Canucks coach, and former Rangers bench boss, John Tortorella hoped his new team would go into New York, “kick their ass and get out of here” with a win. All of none of those things happened as the Rangers took out the Canucks 5-2 at Madison Square Garden.
Leading the way for New York was none other than youngster Chris Kreider. He scored a hat trick, netting the first two against Roberto Luongo in the first period before finishing the trick against backup Eddie Lack in the third.
Kreider struggled last season under Tortorella scoring two goals and an assist in 23 games with the Rangers. He also spent parts of last season either scratched or in the American Hockey League. Less dramatically, he said he had no added motivation to show the old coach up following the game.
Roberto Luongo was pulled after giving up a goal to Rick Nash 17 seconds into the second period and finished with seven saves. Lack closed out the game with 12 saves on 14 shots. The Canucks have dropped eight of their last 11 games and face the Carolina Hurricanes tomorrow.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)