Nov 30, 2013, 7:29 PM EDT
Could Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Jake Gardiner be causing internal disagreement between general manager Dave Nonis and head coach Randy Carlyle?
From Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun (Read the full article here):
The talented but erratic Gardiner would represent a challenge for any coach. But for a coach who demands specifics as much as Carlyle does, this almost seems like a relationship doomed to fail.
This is where Nonis fits in. He has the patience of Job. He’s not willing to make a determination of Gardiner, either way, this early.
He believes too many teams have made mistakes determining the fate of young defencemen, way too soon. It’s his inclination to allow Gardiner to develop at whatever speed is necessary. Carlyle, who hasn’t said as much, can’t possibly agree.
In 25 games this season, the 23-year-old blue liner has six assists and points.
His 2013-14 campaign hasn’t gone according to plan, as he’s endured his share of on-ice struggles. (Although he started alongside Dion Phaneuf against the Montreal Canadiens tonight with Cody Franson scratched after appearing to suffer an injury during warm-up, as per Jonas Siegel of TSN 1050.)
Earlier this week, he was a healthy scratch when the Leafs played the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 5
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 14
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)