Nov 30, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
It can be funny how quickly things can change in just a few days.
Earlier this week, Dmitry Orlov, through his agent Mark Gandler, demanded a trade from the Washington Capitals after a series of recalls to the National Hockey League and reassignments to the Hershey Bears in the American Hockey League.
The 22-year-old defenseman wasn’t happy with not only the constant up-and-downs, but also the fact that when he was recalled to Washington, he never made it into the lineup.
Yet, despite his trade demand, Orlov will finally make his season debut for the Capitals tonight against the New York Islanders.
“Of course I’m excited, I’ve waited for a long time,” Orlov said, as per the Washington Post.
“I’m ready to play, finally it happens. My mind is on what I do, what I need to bring towards the game.”
Orlov does have 65 games experience with the Capitals, with most of that dating back to the 2011-12 season. He appeared in five games during the lockout-shortened season.
The Washington Post also reported that forward Brooks Laich will miss tonight’s game – his second in a row – with a lower-body injury.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)