Nov 30, 2013, 10:20 AM EST
Washington Capitals video coach Brett Leonhardt can rest easy today after being the surprise emergency backup last night.
The Caps recalled goalie Philipp Grubauer from AHL Hershey on an emergency basis to back up Braden Holtby when they face the New York Islanders on Long Island tonight. Michal Neuvirth was injured during warmups yesterday which forced the team to dress their video coach, former Division-III college goalie Leonhardt, as the backup.
Grubauer is another in the line of hot goalie prospects that have come out of the Capitals system in recent years. Starting with Semyon Varlamov and moving along to Neuvirth and Holtby, the 22-year-old’s stay with the team could wind up being longer than expected if Neuvirth is out for a while.
The team also recalled defenseman Dmitry Orlov and sent forward Michael Latta down. This is Orlov’s fifth recall to the team since the end of October. He has yet to play in a game for the Caps and has demanded a trade.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 9
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 9
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 12
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 19
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 38
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8