Nov 30, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
Washington Capitals video coach Brett Leonhardt can rest easy today after being the surprise emergency backup last night.
The Caps recalled goalie Philipp Grubauer from AHL Hershey on an emergency basis to back up Braden Holtby when they face the New York Islanders on Long Island tonight. Michal Neuvirth was injured during warmups yesterday which forced the team to dress their video coach, former Division-III college goalie Leonhardt, as the backup.
Grubauer is another in the line of hot goalie prospects that have come out of the Capitals system in recent years. Starting with Semyon Varlamov and moving along to Neuvirth and Holtby, the 22-year-old’s stay with the team could wind up being longer than expected if Neuvirth is out for a while.
The team also recalled defenseman Dmitry Orlov and sent forward Michael Latta down. This is Orlov’s fifth recall to the team since the end of October. He has yet to play in a game for the Caps and has demanded a trade.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)