Nov 30, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
Washington Capitals video coach Brett Leonhardt can rest easy today after being the surprise emergency backup last night.
The Caps recalled goalie Philipp Grubauer from AHL Hershey on an emergency basis to back up Braden Holtby when they face the New York Islanders on Long Island tonight. Michal Neuvirth was injured during warmups yesterday which forced the team to dress their video coach, former Division-III college goalie Leonhardt, as the backup.
Grubauer is another in the line of hot goalie prospects that have come out of the Capitals system in recent years. Starting with Semyon Varlamov and moving along to Neuvirth and Holtby, the 22-year-old’s stay with the team could wind up being longer than expected if Neuvirth is out for a while.
The team also recalled defenseman Dmitry Orlov and sent forward Michael Latta down. This is Orlov’s fifth recall to the team since the end of October. He has yet to play in a game for the Caps and has demanded a trade.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 16
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13