Nov 30, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
Washington Capitals video coach Brett Leonhardt can rest easy today after being the surprise emergency backup last night.
The Caps recalled goalie Philipp Grubauer from AHL Hershey on an emergency basis to back up Braden Holtby when they face the New York Islanders on Long Island tonight. Michal Neuvirth was injured during warmups yesterday which forced the team to dress their video coach, former Division-III college goalie Leonhardt, as the backup.
Grubauer is another in the line of hot goalie prospects that have come out of the Capitals system in recent years. Starting with Semyon Varlamov and moving along to Neuvirth and Holtby, the 22-year-old’s stay with the team could wind up being longer than expected if Neuvirth is out for a while.
The team also recalled defenseman Dmitry Orlov and sent forward Michael Latta down. This is Orlov’s fifth recall to the team since the end of October. He has yet to play in a game for the Caps and has demanded a trade.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 9
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 73
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)