Nov 30, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens started early and finished strong against their long-time rivals from Toronto.
In a classic Saturday night match-up, the Canadiens triumphed over the Maple Leafs by a final score of 4-2, claiming their fifth victory in the last six games. The Habs have 11 of a possible 12 points in that span.
They didn’t waste any time putting the Leafs in the rear-view mirror.
Max Pacioretty scored 58 seconds into the game on a rebound opportunity, after his initial shot on a breakaway was stopped, as were the other two second chances he got on Leafs goalie Jonathan Bernier.
Pacioretty also scored short-handed in the second period to put the Habs up four goals. He then used his stick like an sword, which seemed to fire up the Leafs.
The comeback would fall short.
The Habs improved their record to 7-1-2 over the last 10 games. There are three other teams in the East with that many wins over this most recent 10-game stretch. They include the Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)