Nov 30, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
The good news for 2005 sixth overall pick Gilbert Brule is that he’s going to play professional hockey this season. The only question now is: Where?
The Phoenix Coyotes announced they signed Brule to a one-year, two-way contract on Saturday. While that would normally clear the path for him to either play in Arizona or in the AHL with the Portland Pirates, there’s an apparent conflict.
KHL franchise Metallurg Magnitogorsk announced five days ago that they, too, had signed Brule. If it’s true that Brule committed to Metallurg first and they wish to keep him, he would likely have to play there as there’s generally a mutual respect for each league’s contracts.
Of course, this could just all be one huge clerical error and he will wind up in Phoenix in no time. The last time he was in the NHL, he suited up for the Coyotes during the 2011-12 season scoring five goals with 14 points in 33 games.
Brule has been playing in the AHL with Portland this season. He spent last year in the Swiss league playing just 12 games for Zurich.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)