Nov 30, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
The good news for 2005 sixth overall pick Gilbert Brule is that he’s going to play professional hockey this season. The only question now is: Where?
The Phoenix Coyotes announced they signed Brule to a one-year, two-way contract on Saturday. While that would normally clear the path for him to either play in Arizona or in the AHL with the Portland Pirates, there’s an apparent conflict.
KHL franchise Metallurg Magnitogorsk announced five days ago that they, too, had signed Brule. If it’s true that Brule committed to Metallurg first and they wish to keep him, he would likely have to play there as there’s generally a mutual respect for each league’s contracts.
Of course, this could just all be one huge clerical error and he will wind up in Phoenix in no time. The last time he was in the NHL, he suited up for the Coyotes during the 2011-12 season scoring five goals with 14 points in 33 games.
Brule has been playing in the AHL with Portland this season. He spent last year in the Swiss league playing just 12 games for Zurich.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 8
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 7
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 93
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (93)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)