Nov 30, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
The good news for 2005 sixth overall pick Gilbert Brule is that he’s going to play professional hockey this season. The only question now is: Where?
The Phoenix Coyotes announced they signed Brule to a one-year, two-way contract on Saturday. While that would normally clear the path for him to either play in Arizona or in the AHL with the Portland Pirates, there’s an apparent conflict.
KHL franchise Metallurg Magnitogorsk announced five days ago that they, too, had signed Brule. If it’s true that Brule committed to Metallurg first and they wish to keep him, he would likely have to play there as there’s generally a mutual respect for each league’s contracts.
Of course, this could just all be one huge clerical error and he will wind up in Phoenix in no time. The last time he was in the NHL, he suited up for the Coyotes during the 2011-12 season scoring five goals with 14 points in 33 games.
Brule has been playing in the AHL with Portland this season. He spent last year in the Swiss league playing just 12 games for Zurich.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)