Nov 30, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
If there is ever such a thing as away-ice advantage, the Chicago Blackhawks had it.
The Blackhawks concluded a seven-game road trip on Saturday with a 5-2 victory over the host Phoenix Coyotes. That gave them six victories in a row, all coming while play away from Chicago, as the annual Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus took over the United Center.
The Blackhawks had opened up a five-point lead in the Central Division, with this win.
They opened up a three-goal lead before the game was even 12 minutes old, including a five-on-three power play goal from Patrick Kane just a little over two minutes in.
Kane finished with a goal and an assist.
Giving the Blackhawks a two-man advantage so early on was an aspect of the evening that Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett lamented later on.
“It’s so foreign to what you have to do that it’s almost inconceivable we could do it, but we did,” he said, as per Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports.
“Give them a 5-on-3 early just to make sure they get going, and then we give up a poor goal, a goal that should be stopped.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)