Nov 29, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
It’s safe to say San Jose’s had Friday’s date with the Blues circled on the calendar for a long time.
After Dan Boyle tersely addressed his grudge with Maxim Lapierre — saying he wasn’t willing to shake hands and make amends for Lapierre’s hit from behind in early October — Sharks tough guy Mike Brown said the Blues forward should be willing to fight tonight.
“Me, personally, I would own up to it if I did something like that,” Brown told CSN Bay Area. “I can’t speak for everyone else… The type of player I am, I’m ready to answer the bell if it was the other way around.
“I can’t tell you what he’s feeling.”
The hit was one of the uglier ones of the campaign, concussing Boyle and forcing him to miss seven games. Lapierre served a five-game suspension for the incident and has both apologized and exchanged texts with Boyle, but said the back-and-forth did nothing to mend fences.
“I called him for a few days and he didn’t answer,” Lapierre told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “After that, I texted him and we explained what we were thinking, both sides and I can’t say he’s happy with it.
“But this is what it is.”
Lapierre said he’s “ready to face the music,” tonight in San Jose and, based on his history, will probably drop the gloves with someone. He fought a career-high seven times in his last full season (2011-12, with Vancouver) and fought San Jose’s Andrew Desjardins in response to the Boyle hit last game.
Related: Less Yappy Lappy, More Scrappy Lappy
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)