Nov 29, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
It’s safe to say San Jose’s had Friday’s date with the Blues circled on the calendar for a long time.
After Dan Boyle tersely addressed his grudge with Maxim Lapierre — saying he wasn’t willing to shake hands and make amends for Lapierre’s hit from behind in early October — Sharks tough guy Mike Brown said the Blues forward should be willing to fight tonight.
“Me, personally, I would own up to it if I did something like that,” Brown told CSN Bay Area. “I can’t speak for everyone else… The type of player I am, I’m ready to answer the bell if it was the other way around.
“I can’t tell you what he’s feeling.”
The hit was one of the uglier ones of the campaign, concussing Boyle and forcing him to miss seven games. Lapierre served a five-game suspension for the incident and has both apologized and exchanged texts with Boyle, but said the back-and-forth did nothing to mend fences.
“I called him for a few days and he didn’t answer,” Lapierre told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “After that, I texted him and we explained what we were thinking, both sides and I can’t say he’s happy with it.
“But this is what it is.”
Lapierre said he’s “ready to face the music,” tonight in San Jose and, based on his history, will probably drop the gloves with someone. He fought a career-high seven times in his last full season (2011-12, with Vancouver) and fought San Jose’s Andrew Desjardins in response to the Boyle hit last game.
Related: Less Yappy Lappy, More Scrappy Lappy
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)