Nov 29, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
“It’s not directed at anybody or towards anybody,” Schneider told the Star-Ledger of his “Groundhog Day” remarks, comparing his current situation with Martin Brodeur to the one he had in Vancouver with Roberto Luongo.
“I fully understand the situation and respect what is going on and how well Marty has played and how he deserves to play. There’s one net so you have to find a way to co-exist and play well. I think we’re going to do that and we have. There won’t be any problems.”
Those remarks were in response to what Schneider said on Wednesday upon learning he’d be backing up Brodeur for a third consecutive game.
“It’s like Groundhog Day for me,” Schneider said, as per the Star-Ledger. “I can’t seem to escape it.”
Schneider said he’s “very surprised” and “frustrated” he’s not playing, but made point of saying Brodeur is playing well.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) November 27, 2013
On Friday, Schneider suggested a rough day at the office played a role in what he said.
“I’m good. I’m back to myself,” he explained. “Sometimes it’s just a bad day, bad practice, bad mood and things come out a certain way.”
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer said he wasn’t upset with the comments, adding he would’ve been “a little disappointed” if Schneider wasn’t frustrated over not playing.
Schneider will be in goal tonight to face the Hurricanes in Carolina.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 14
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 50
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 36
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)