Nov 29, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
“It’s not directed at anybody or towards anybody,” Schneider told the Star-Ledger of his “Groundhog Day” remarks, comparing his current situation with Martin Brodeur to the one he had in Vancouver with Roberto Luongo.
“I fully understand the situation and respect what is going on and how well Marty has played and how he deserves to play. There’s one net so you have to find a way to co-exist and play well. I think we’re going to do that and we have. There won’t be any problems.”
Those remarks were in response to what Schneider said on Wednesday upon learning he’d be backing up Brodeur for a third consecutive game.
“It’s like Groundhog Day for me,” Schneider said, as per the Star-Ledger. “I can’t seem to escape it.”
Schneider said he’s “very surprised” and “frustrated” he’s not playing, but made point of saying Brodeur is playing well.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) November 27, 2013
On Friday, Schneider suggested a rough day at the office played a role in what he said.
“I’m good. I’m back to myself,” he explained. “Sometimes it’s just a bad day, bad practice, bad mood and things come out a certain way.”
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer said he wasn’t upset with the comments, adding he would’ve been “a little disappointed” if Schneider wasn’t frustrated over not playing.
Schneider will be in goal tonight to face the Hurricanes in Carolina.
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 18
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)