Nov 29, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov’s first start as an Oiler was so good, he’s getting another.
Bryzgalov, who posted a 33-save shutout over the Preds on Thursday, will be back in goal Friday when Edmonton takes on the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
The Russian netminder kicked out every shot faced last night in Nashville, earning both his first win and first shutout since joining the Oilers earlier this month.
“Check-marks across the board for him tonight,” head coach Dallas Eakins said. “[Bryzgalov] did a great job.”
Goaltending was a major issue for Edmonton earlier in the year, but it hasn’t been lately. Devan Dubnyk allowed just three goals in wins over Calgary, Columbus and Florida last week and while Monday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago was a setback, Bryzgalov jumped in on Thursday and posted the club’s second shutout in four games.
That’s not all that’s going right for Edmonton lately. The Oilers have won four of their last five and are how just two points back of Calgary in the race to climb out of the Western Conference cellar.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)