Nov 29, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov’s first start as an Oiler was so good, he’s getting another.
Bryzgalov, who posted a 33-save shutout over the Preds on Thursday, will be back in goal Friday when Edmonton takes on the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
The Russian netminder kicked out every shot faced last night in Nashville, earning both his first win and first shutout since joining the Oilers earlier this month.
“Check-marks across the board for him tonight,” head coach Dallas Eakins said. “[Bryzgalov] did a great job.”
Goaltending was a major issue for Edmonton earlier in the year, but it hasn’t been lately. Devan Dubnyk allowed just three goals in wins over Calgary, Columbus and Florida last week and while Monday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago was a setback, Bryzgalov jumped in on Thursday and posted the club’s second shutout in four games.
That’s not all that’s going right for Edmonton lately. The Oilers have won four of their last five and are how just two points back of Calgary in the race to climb out of the Western Conference cellar.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)