Nov 29, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov’s first start as an Oiler was so good, he’s getting another.
Bryzgalov, who posted a 33-save shutout over the Preds on Thursday, will be back in goal Friday when Edmonton takes on the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
The Russian netminder kicked out every shot faced last night in Nashville, earning both his first win and first shutout since joining the Oilers earlier this month.
“Check-marks across the board for him tonight,” head coach Dallas Eakins said. “[Bryzgalov] did a great job.”
Goaltending was a major issue for Edmonton earlier in the year, but it hasn’t been lately. Devan Dubnyk allowed just three goals in wins over Calgary, Columbus and Florida last week and while Monday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago was a setback, Bryzgalov jumped in on Thursday and posted the club’s second shutout in four games.
That’s not all that’s going right for Edmonton lately. The Oilers have won four of their last five and are how just two points back of Calgary in the race to climb out of the Western Conference cellar.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)