Nov 29, 2013, 11:39 AM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov’s first start as an Oiler was so good, he’s getting another.
Bryzgalov, who posted a 33-save shutout over the Preds on Thursday, will be back in goal Friday when Edmonton takes on the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
The Russian netminder kicked out every shot faced last night in Nashville, earning both his first win and first shutout since joining the Oilers earlier this month.
“Check-marks across the board for him tonight,” head coach Dallas Eakins said. “[Bryzgalov] did a great job.”
Goaltending was a major issue for Edmonton earlier in the year, but it hasn’t been lately. Devan Dubnyk allowed just three goals in wins over Calgary, Columbus and Florida last week and while Monday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago was a setback, Bryzgalov jumped in on Thursday and posted the club’s second shutout in four games.
That’s not all that’s going right for Edmonton lately. The Oilers have won four of their last five and are how just two points back of Calgary in the race to climb out of the Western Conference cellar.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 6
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 34
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 41
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (167)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)